Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Radiator Shroud ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I've got to build a radiator shroud. I'm going to build it in 2 pc, for easy fan belt service. Since I have to make my own, Would I see any benefit in cooling by extending it up & down to pull heat off of the tanks ??

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I believe pulling air from the center of the core is what you want. My first hot rod at first had no shroud, cooled fine as long as the car was moving. When I came to a long stop light the temp went up. I made a shroud and it cooled all the time.

Ago

3. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I understand about pulling air through the core. But wouldn't sucking heat off the tanks at the same time help ?

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I don't think pulling air across the tanks will make any noticable difference . Besides , if it did , it would be common practice with production cars .

5. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Here's a pic of a shroud I tried for curiosity and it worked great. I can idle all day long with this big block and I can watch the temp gauge go between 180 and 200 as the thermostat opens and closes. Driving is even better. It has never got too hot. Air flow across the fins is 100% of the area and that is what you want. Shrouding the tank wont increase the airflow, might even create some unwanted turbulance. Just my opinion.

Attached Files:

6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Hey, if you are gonna make one, add a coupe of spring loaded relief doors (that open at high speed / air pressure). As for the tank cooling, as long as the shroud is designed properly, I don't think it will make a diff

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

No, you wouldn't.