Register now to get rid of these ads!

radiator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riseabove_xxx, Dec 3, 2010.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

i have a 1937 Plymouth radiator i got in a trade. i really like the look of it. Would it be enough to cool a small block? im guessing no, what would i have to do to be able to use it or am i S.O.L?
    info:
    radiater seems to be stock 37 plymouth, looks good, cant see any holes.
    engine is a small block 350, bored, polished crank, blah blah blah
    If you need any more info let me know

P.S.
    i just got my gas tank from speedway motors today (thanks mom for the early christmas present) and its a hideous black cap, anyone have any different caps?

2. Don't know about your 37 Plymouth radiator/350 Chevy, but I'm running a Stock 32 Ford 4 cylinder radiator on a DeSoto 291 Blown Hemi, and it cools just fine...

Attached Files:

3. George

George

Probably has a lot to do with your engine, how much boring ect. saw a trailered 37/8/9 Plym that over heated going across a parking lot. And a lot of guy who have no problems with the stock radiator.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have used lots of original early Ford radiators to cool relatively stock Chevy engines. I'd give it a try. Make sure it's clean and you have a good fan that is within an inch of the core. Don't assume a problem before it shows up.

5. Like others have said it will probably be enough. Though take it to a radiator shop for a clean out and leak check, depending on how much crud is in it you may just get away with a pressure flush or at worse they may have to take off a tank and rod out the core. If the core is too far gone they can replace it.
    The biggest issue in cooling is ensuring that fresh air actually passes through the radiator and it does not pull hot air back around from the engine compartment.
    If you have cooling issues with it later, make a fan shroud and look into the fan you are using, does it move enough air? You may have to go to an (Ugh) electric fan.
    There is a lot of options to pursue that are much cheaper than a new radiator, especially if you don't really need a new one!

Feel free to ask any questions, or PM me.

Doc.

6. Either an electric fan or a good mechanical fan and shroud are the key!

7. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

If the radiator hold 1 1/4 times what the motor holds it should work.

Most problem are the there not shrouded and the air from the engine compartment flow back around to the front of the radiator and back through it again. Or the radiator holds less then the motor so its always dumping some hot water back in the motor. Or there is not enough air flow through the radiator.

8. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

thanks alot dudes!!!
    ill try and use it and if it dosent work then we will cross that bridge when we get there.