Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical radiator question!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Jan 6, 2017.

1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

just found a leak in my radiator that cools my 350 chevy engine which is in my 1932 deuce coupe. I do not know what brand it is never got a build sheet with the car DA! SO can you fellow hambers help get me ready for spring . I want to buy a one time dependable radiator which will work the best. I also plan to run AC in the car probably vintage air. please give me some direction please. humbly john!

2. AllDeuceRun_053114_1706-L-1.jpg You will get all kinds of reply's from aluminum to copper brass.

I have been building hot rods my entire adult life and have used re-cored originals,aluminum and copper brass.

I have also used several aftermarket radiators offered by company's that specialize in radiators.

I only use Walker Radiators now they are not cheap but they are built to last,the one in my deuce sedan is 26 years old and never a problem. HRP

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

John
    Here is one I consider a work of art when it comes to radiators, and they may be in your own back yard.
    Steve Long Custom Radiators.
    Gasoline Alley, Indy.

4. Walkers in my rods.

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brass Works. Looks right, fits right, works right. [drops microphone with attitude and exits stage]

prewarcars4me likes this.
  7. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

8. BJR

BJR

Can't you just get the one you have repaired? If it cooled OK before the leak it should work the same after the leak has been fixed.

9. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I recently bought one from Superior Radiator, a friend uses only theirs with great luck. Previously I bought a walker for my other 40 and I am glad I did. Buy Cheap, you get exactly that.

10. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Superior Radiator supply the heavy truck industry in Michigan. They build a great rad at a reasonable price. I stood and watched my aluminum rad for the Model A being built. Superior craftsmanship. They will also fab a shroud that looks like it is part of the rad.
    Warren

11. Fordors

Fordors

I like the aluminum radiators for under $200 on eBay. That way I can buy two and keep one in the trunk for when the first one fails on a road trip. Seriously though, Walker, period!

pat59 likes this.
  12. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

Something to consider, I might be concerned if all mounting brackets (mounting feet, radiator shell brackets, radiator support rod brackets) would be in the same location as your current one. Can yours be repaired or maybe take your current one to a shop that can assure you they will duplicate yours if buying a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I run nothing but Walkers, but brass/copper is the way to go. They can be fixed easily. Aluminum, not so much. And aluminum tends to stress crack more easily.

Gman0046 likes this.
  14. Walker has a long warranty also

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Walker has a 10 year warranty. My 46 Ford has one in it for twenty years. May be pricey initially but worth it in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Last year I talked to the guy that now owns my old Model A pickup and it has gone through several hands since I sold it back in the early 80's and it still has the same Walker Radiator I installed when I built it in the mid 70's.

The longevity speaks for itself, My griffin radiator was a piece of junk,after a year of problems Buddy made it right but by then I had had my fill of aluminum radiators. HRP

17. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

thank you fellow hambers I know now what I'm going to purchase. humbly john!

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Try the "Radiator Lady" in Wildomar, Ca.

P.O. Box 1305
    Wildomar, CA 92595

Hours of Operation :
    Monday – Friday : 8 AM – 6 PM
    Saturday : 8 AM – 5 PM
    Closed Sundays due to our attendance at the Swap Meets!
    Call Kathryn @ (951) 219-4707 or (503) 740-8647

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

I wish a radiator repairman would tell us the brands of flux, and solder plus the torch and pressure to fix our own

20. Here in my town we still have 2 excellent old school radiator shops and they just happen to be separated by a street running between them.

I have done business with them both,even had a Walker repaired after a friend had a accident. HRP

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Another Walker fan here.

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have no experience with Walker, though their reputation is quite good, but you points about repair are right on the money. Aluminum construction complicates the repair process substantially.

23. chargin03

chargin03

I fixed mine with epoxy 10yrs ago still good.

24. 41 C28

41 C28

Walker 3 times for me.

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

I learned a long time ago that when it comes to brakes, cooling and steering you buy the best. How much quality does anyone expect to get from a $130 Chinese radiator? Epoxied cooling tubes rather then TIG welded renders them a throw away should a problem arise.

Gary

26. Built a house and took advice from professionals: Get the best foundation/waterproofing, best rough-in carpenter, most insulation, and best roof you can afford. Never regretted it 15 years later. Same for hotrods: Strongest frame/suspension, best cooling, best oil pump, best brakes, best steering. Longevity, for you and your ride. Folks swear by Walker for a reason. They swear at cheap radiators - again, for a reason.

pat59 likes this.
  27. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

I think Steve Long Custom Radiators went out of business. I did a Google search and came up with this.

Attached Files:

28. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Walker never a problem

29. Benny's Ford

Benny's Ford

Walker radiators made right, fit right.