Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator.... parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Sep 7, 2018.

1. The radiator I'm using has an oil cooler in it; like a trans cooler, it's in the tank on one end. Because this has plastic end tanks, the fittings for it are secured with a big stamped steel nut on them, which pulls the fitting out and seals the tank.

One of them rusted somehow, it's missing a big chunk out of it and being tin it now spreads and is useless. Without it, the fitting slides back into the tank and leaks around the opening.

Any idea if anybody sells these things new? I'm not even sure what to call it, I've tried a number of search terms and come up empty. Oil Cooler Fitting Retainer, radiator tank fitting retainer, tried omitting retainer, tried with nut, got zilch. It looks like something that should cost about a dollar. As opposed to a new radiator of the same type is at least $100. I'm thinking if it exists as a separate part it's either dealers only or I'd have to go to a place that rebuilds/recores radiators for it.

Size of it is somewhere around an inch, inch and a quarter, and the threads are very coarse so I don't think a regular nut would work.

Maybe it's something I can only get in a salvage yard; I'm going to go try to get one when they open up. I shouldn't have any trouble finding one provided I can find things that still have their radiator, this being New York, the lower ones get splashed with salt and crap in the winter but the upper ones seem to stay dry.

It just seems stupid to replace the whole radiator over a stupid little nut that if I had another one I could spin on there in about 15 seconds.

2. I just did another search and a leak here is a common issue, but most of the time the consensus is replace the radiator because the tank is cracked. I might be the first guy to have the stupid nut break instead.

3. Visit a radiator shop, I'm sure they have some laying around. Talk nice and maybe they will give you one.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

It also matters if your rad is OEM or aftermarket because the nut could be different on another rad. Best to check the scrap pile at a friendly rad shop.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 54vicky

54vicky

I think you may have a problem undoing the line without that nut to hold the fitting in rad.could be fun(not) trying to undo if rusty without damaging the threads on it now the nut if you find one.if you do damage then I would take BFH and put it through the core:oops::oops:then it will ease pain

6. 54vicky

54vicky

you may want to check mcmaster-carr 92043a170p1-med-b01-digitals.png they have in different sizes they are called pushnuts at least these are called that. I call them speednuts

Attached Files: