Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator mounted at an angle??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot'nRodder, May 7, 2007.

1. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Does anyone know if it hurts cooling if your radiator is mounted at an angle? (i'de say 5 degrees, tilted in, at most) ....anyone know the "not to exceed angle". I need to tip mine in to have it work with the front clip I put in my shoebox. I wanna use the factory radiator, but it has to share space with a steering box now. I know corvettes had angled radiators, but have never noticed if the they had the fins angled so they would be normal to the direction of airflow. Im not usin' no electric fan either. Anyone know?? Thanks
    -Rot'n

2. It won't hurt a thing. I don't know if there is a magical angle, but I do know that Corvettes don't have any special fins and those buggers a tilted pretty severely.

3. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Won't hurt a thing, but it should be as parallel to the fan as possible unless you have a hell of a shroud.
    Craig

4. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I already got an idea in mind for how im gonna build the shroud. When I was eyeballin' the thing in there it didn't really look like it was going to have to be tilted all that much. Just wanted to check. Thanks guys.
    -Rot'n

5. 5 degrees is nothing.

I've seen them mounted horizontal,on B.East Midgets,
    and they work fine with the proper ducting.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

My 54 Chevy had a Monte subframe in it. Had to angle the radiatior toward the front, at the bottom, to clear the steering box. I did put a shroud on it, (home made)) not because I had to, but I thought it might be good insurance. Worked well going on 70,000 miles, by now......