Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator help 32 Chev radiator shop in Seattle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Chev, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

So I am working towards dropping a 292 six into my 32 Chev coupe, the radiator is tired and before I put it back in with my new engine I'd like to have it gone through and repaired. Are there any good shops around Seattle or should I send it abroad?? My old standby for years "West Seattle Radiator" is gone....

Thanks!

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Not sure where you are but I think Havliks is still in Totem Lake. They have done a couple for me. Also A1 Radiator in Redmond.

3. ken1939

ken1939

You going with the honeycomb again? The Filling Station in Lebanon Oregon sells them but they are pricey ($975 for just the core) They will, however, put the core in at last quote for about $250.

I was going to get my 31 Chevy rad done there, but when I removed it I found it had a normal core, which meant sometime in its life it got recored.

Now its $475 to fix.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I had Performance Radiator in Tacoma build me a custom radiator for my RPU

[​IMG]

5. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Hey Paul,

I thought that was a pretty cool radiator in you RPU! I think I'll just have a standard core installed and new hose necks to match the larger size on the 292. Have you got anyone in particular you deal with at Performance Radiator?

6. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Thanks

Think this has made me decide to go with a standard core!

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

no one person in particular,

what pressures did the '32 run at?
    and what pressure does the 292 like?

I had a stock '35 Dodge redone at West Seattle Radiator when they were still in business,
    'had it done like you describe,
    it was originaly built to run very low pressure
    the more modern motor held water better at a higher pressure
    but the thin gauge tank would bulge slightly when at full temp/pres

8. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Oooh, have not thought about pressure. I would imagine it was nothing more that a small amount with the original engine, also a much larger cap than todays standards!

Now, I guess I'll just have to take it into a shop and see what they have to say.... May have to get a new one built.... I can imagine that might be rather spendy???

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you can afford it ;)

10. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

12. Joe H

Joe H

My recored '37 Chevy radiator broke the top tank seam about once a year from expantion. The old tank was just to thin to take much pressure and I was only using a 7 pound cap. The originals were open top with zero pressure, anything that left the overflow hit the ground!
    My new aluminum replacement came with a 19 psi cap, I opted for a 14, didn't see the need for that much pressure.

Joe

13. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Okay good advice on Performance Radiator in Tacoma, the guy I spoke with on the phone this morning was full of confidence and said they do this all the time. That's what I am looking for... hope to drop it off Friday....:cool:

14. I would personally use Greenwood Radiator 206-783-2177 he's in Seattle. I've had him do about 5 or 6 radiators for me. Small one man shop. Hotrodder. He's got the best price in town and I've never had a problem with them. need I say more?

15. ken1939

ken1939

Those year Chevies uses a non pressurized system. Another reason for getting a normal type core. To many horror stories of shops blowing the core on pressure test, as they said they "knew" how to test low pressure systems.

That, and 975 for a freekin core?

16. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Hope to have the new radiator on Friday... ended up going with Performance Radiator in Tacoma.