Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator fan shroud opening

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papa's 39 koop, Jul 6, 2013.

1. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I need some advice on my fan shroud for my 39.How much of the shroud opening should cover the fan assembly. Fan is 16" diameter. Here's a couple pics in mock up

Attached Files:

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

If the fan is being mounted directly to the radiator you should not put a shroud on it. The fan can only pull from within its open area and your just blocking any airflow from the "unfanned" area.

The fan needs to be mounted at least an inch behind the radiator in order for the fan to pull from the corners.

Your shroud should seal up fairly tight to the fan and cover all of the finned part of the radiator. With an electric fan you should also punch some holes in the corners of the shroud to allow any air moving faster than the fan can pull to get out at highway speeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Free advice: If a fan shroud is attached to the same element as the fan (like yours, both are attached to the radiator or radiator support, the shroud should fit as tight as possible to the fan assembly. Some folks even use weather stripping to eliminate the gaps (leaks). IF the fan is on the engine and the shroud is on the radiator, you can have movement between the two when the engine torques. In that case, you will see the recommendation of leaving a slight gap between the fan and the shroud. For your case, zero gap is best.

Another tip is the shroud design. A shroud is a FUNNEL to funnel air from the radiator to the fan. IF the fan is mounted really close to the radiator, the funnel does not work well and the diameter of the fan becomes the diameter of the radiator (since the air cannot be sucked from the side areas). The desirable distance is for the fan to be at least 3" from the radiator so the funnel (shrould) has some depth.

The shroud should also fit tightly to the radiator to prevent leaks to make all the air go past the fan. Some shrouds will have small, hinged flaps on the sides of the fan to allow air to push the flap open at speed but NOT allow the fan to suck the flap open to bypass the radiator.

4. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Thanks ,the fan brackets in the 1st pic space the fan about 9/16" from the fins.With the shroud I can mount it further back from the radiator surface.Thanks for the tip on drilling holes in the corners

5. You will see a lot of the new cars that have thin rubber 'flaps' on the fan shroud which allow air to pass through at highway speeds and then are sucked shut by the fan at low speeds.

I had a fan shroud built by Ron Davis (Lots of NASCAR radiators) for my pickup in the avatar and it incorporates these flaps. It uses a Lincoln MKVIII fan and works fantastic!!

6. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Thanks guys back to the drawing board and garage.....

7. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

You might look at getting a Cooling Components fan and shroud assembly. I have one on my 47 Ford and it never over heats.

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Best cooling investments I have made were CCI shrouded electric fans. I have used three of them with great results.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Got a CCI fan/shroud on my '40 Ford and 1940 Willys - the best and worth every penny....

10. jmh

jmh

Got the CCI fan/shroud on my 39 Ford.. Works as it is supposed.. John

11. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

39 DeLuxe shroud with lots of dust

Attached Files:

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

think I'm going to copy your idea Mike. Thanks.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Some real good info!
    Thanks for the heads up.

14. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Thanks I will check out the CCI fan/shroud.Sometimes it's just as easy to spend the money.... especially with me putting in a new motor

15. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

You might check speedway also. they have the CCI fan/shroud cheaper that the CCI website.