Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radials VS Bias plys..? This thread been done.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowongas, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowongas

lowongas

I am at a point where I NEED to order my tires and really cant wait.I tried doing a search about the pros and cons of both but found a bunch of info but no really answer.Some of the info is awesome..but.I LOVE the look bias plys but keep reading about that DEATH WOBBLE problem.Can you get "Death wobble" with radials tires..? Or they more forgiving.?I read an article on Diamond Back Tires website that Bias Plys with tubes in them can heat up and blow out..How does a tube create enough energy to do that..? Any suggestions on what to drive on..?

2. Fenders

Fenders

I don't think the tire type affects the death wobble, that's due to front end suspension geometry and design....
    Basically it's bias ply for the look, radial for the comfortable ride.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Those of us who are old enough don't have to ask this question.

Radials can cover up a lot of sins in your suspension, steering, etc. But they look modern.

It's up to you. If the car is in good shape, and you don't mind a bit of wandering and faster tire wear, and you want the look, go with bias. Otherwise, stick with radials.

4. is this on a roadster or old car/truck? i have driven plys on both. they look the part but truth is radials are better unless you have 'em balanced properly and sometimes have 'em shaved so they're even steven. I've had to return two sets to Coker cause they were off center castings and wouldn't balance for shit. Plys do look keen though and for my purposes i will always run 'em. I'd say it depends on what kind of driving you plan to do on them. Dailly? frequent? long trips? or...local, on wknds to car cruises, to the bar etc....the the daily,frequent, long trip high mileage- go with radials. for the later, plys are cool, but then there's always guys like me who don't care and will run the plys for the look regardless of the sacrifice in ride and safety

5. ditto on what That guy with the coupe said.....suspension makes all the difference. set up right it should be fine

6. NoRo13

NoRo13

I just changed over from 30 year old bias plys to radials on my stock '48 Chevy half ton pickup, and the difference is incredible. The ride is way better, as is the steering. Yes, the bias plys look more period correct, but the radials don't look a lot different, and I feel a lot safer. Take it from someone who's been there - go with the radials.

7. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

it kind of depends on the car. im digging the 1'' pinner white walls on radials on my '55 but then again i love my dads '56 with the 4'' www biased plies

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes this thread has been done.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

More times than I can count. And I can count pretty high!!

Do a search, lots of info on the subject.

Bias plies will NOT cause death wobble, but they can be tough to balance correctly because they aren't always round.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Can't add much more than what's been said...however, let me add that IF you do a lot of driving and I'm talking several hundred miles in a sitting on the highway then by all means go with radials. I've had radials on all my cars (two '57 Chevys, one '40 Stude coop and one '55 Cadillac) for over 30 years...would never put on a set of bias plys no matter how period correct they look...

R-

11. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

man the hamb has changed.... not for the better

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

this horse has been dead a long time. I run radials on my 57, but that's fine they're hidden under the fenders. on a fenderless hot rod I would be leaning towards the bias plys.

13. lowongas

lowongas

Opps.....forgot..these are going on a 1930 Model A coupe.

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm thinking the 30 year old part might have been a lot of your problem.

I have 8 year old farm truck bias on my driver and never once have even had to so much as even put any air in them yet; not off balance, wobble or any other BS either. Works just fine for me. They are getting old though, so probably should refresh them soon. But hell, you got 30 years out of yours and mine are only at 8 and no cracking etc from what I can tell.

15. Poke it with a fork, this thread has been done....to death.

16. Are you naked again?:eek:

17. Your search does not work. At one time we could link em that way but now you need to copy/paste single threads. Bummer because it would be a great tool.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There ya go. Either go Bias Plys on that coupe or they may as well be 30" Donk wheels because both the donk wheels and the radials will look dumb.

19. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

Bias ply, especially if fenderless. I wouldn't dream of radials on a vintage style hot rod. Radials go with A/C and billet wheels lol...

20. adam401

adam401

The internet is only so big, stop wasting it.

21. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

i thought you were going to say bias plys or jam it up your A$$ hehe

22. lowongas

lowongas

LOL....

LMAO.

Thanks Tman,I couldnt get that thread to work either.

29 Nash I AGREE,enough stuff in those posts to confuse EVERYBODY....LOL.

23. Yes, radials are 'modern' ...just like overhead valves....but they were making radials in the 50's so it's down to your interpretation of modern.
    If you plan to drive your coupe in all weathers and on twisty roads I would choose safety over looks, or if you have the coin, radials in winter, bias in summer.
    Plenty of twisty roads and bad weather in NZ :)

24. I go by the fender rule. If it doesn't have fenders, Bias-ply only. If it's got fenders anything goes.

25. 117harv

117harv

Someone make it stop.....please.

26. radials-better ride, steering, manuverability, tracking. nothing wrong with bias ply, but everything it provides, radials provide more.(except maybe looks)

27. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

***blush***:D

28. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, it was about ten years before I ever drove a car with radials, so I might be a little "biased" with my answer. (HA! I just had to say that.) Really, I don't recall any sort of weird exploding tires or anything else bizarre. I just installed a used set of bias plys on my new project & it drives great..no wobble or shimmy. As long as your suspension is in order, any tires should be O.K.

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Its not like bias ply tires just sowed up from outer space. They were fine enough to drive on back then and they are still fine to drive on today. Radials ride better but look stupid on old cars. Its pretty simple.

30. Another bone for the dogs to fight over on here. Here's an idea, find some friends with the right wheels and tires (bias or radials) and try them out to decide for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.