Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radial vs. Bias Ply? Help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrolla2k3, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Hey everyone,

Ive searched, but cant seem to find a good post about the advantages or disadvantages of radials vs bias plys. I also want to know what size tires you guys with 53-54 210's are running on your "stock" 15" wheels with possibly some pics to show the stance with lowered suspension.

Thanks
    Jaison

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

3. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Bias look better, radials drive better.

4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

No matter what the purists say.

5. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks, BOBBY FORD:D

6. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

DOH!

Guess I shoulda "searched" on page 1. Anyone have any pics and sizes so I can have a visual?

Im a bonehead...:rolleyes:

Jaison

7. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Yes....but you're doin it with a lot of style ! ;)
    I've ONLY used radials...I guess I'm just not old enough....thank god !

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Like anything else you get used to the bias plys. I don't think they handle as bad as most people make them out to, and I drive around NYC on these things!

9. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

If you get the air pressure just right, the bias plys work fine

10. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Is it true that switching to radials on a car designed for bias plies can very much reduce comfortable cruising speed?

11. floored

floored

Could be just me, but i think alot of the effect is lost on a full fendered or full bodied car.

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

True ...When I had bias on car I would not drive over 60 on the roads in the NE now with radials I have no issues going 85 plus

But what WTF do I know .............

13. Done that a few times.
    Radials did ride better and handling at "comfortable cruising speed" (which is different for most) wasn't a problem.

Seems like bias will give you more warning when they go out from under you than a radial will on a hard corner.

Then again, the radials stick better in the corners.

The choices are, looks or performance.

14. teddyp

teddyp

DITTO for me

15. zzford

zzford

If you are going to REALLY drive the car, I wouldn't use anything but radials. If you want garage art, go with the bias plys. I love traditional style cars but am not about to give up better performance and safety for "correctness". Form follows function.

16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I totally disagree,
    bias plys are great if you get the pressure right, like Hagen said, I drive in and around Los Angeles everyday with bias plys and love them, but if you are not used to them, it can be a bit akward at first.
    It's like anything, practice makes perfect.

17. How about some recommended pressures for Bias and Radial?
    Especially interested in what pressures you're running in Bias.

Along with the style car they're on.

I run 20# rear and 30# front in the big and little radials on my 32 roadster.

18. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Safety? Please explain.

19. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Dreadman has a point .....

Good Roads ( WestCoast ) = Bias would be fine
    Shitty Roads ( EastCoast ) = Radials to save your life

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

205/65r14s. 3-4" lowered

Attached Files:

21. 53chevy

53chevy

Your kidding right??? Don't be such a lazy ass and check your tires if you run Bias from time to time. It seems now days people just expect thing to take car of themselves. When you drive an old car, be pro-active and inspect the damn thing once in while.

Ken

22. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

We like to use the old chalk method. Draw a line of chalk accrosss your tire, drive down the road and see how much is still there. If it's all gone, you are too low. If you you see some on the outer ribs, you are too high. It can take some time, but it's worth it.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a daily driver bias ply tires won't get near the milage under "normal" driving conditions. I worked for Firestone in the early 70's right at the changeover from bias to radials on new cars and I think the Good bias tires at the time were advertised to get about 25 K miles. Four Firestone Deluxe Champion white walls (narrow) for 100 plus mounting and ballancing, that would be a deal now.

24. mustangsix

mustangsix

My memory ain't always accurate, so bear with me. ;) I remember when radials started to gain on bias plys in the late sixties. There was a lot of marketing focused on the advantages of radials, particularly tire life. It wasn't uncommon for a cheap set of tires to only go 15k, but back then that might have equated to two years of everyday driving. I think we all drove less back then.

I also remember being amazed when Firestone and Michelin advertised tire warranties in excess of 30k miles. And I also remember Firestone having two lines of tires - bias belted wide ovals and radials. All very confusing for a sixteen year old kid.

Of course, being a poor kid, all I could afford were recaps anyway, so for $8.95 each I got those at the local recapper. :)

I had a friend who had a 61 Bel Air. He had money, so he replaced the bias tires with a set of radials and as I recall, it really transformed the car. Less road noise, better ride. Not sure about handling, since the car was such a pig around corners it probably could have had wooden wheels and still pulled the same g-force.

Anyway, I digress. If you want a period look, it has to be bias. if you want a better ride (or dirve a lot), I would go radials.

25. nexxussian

nexxussian

So you mark just the tread?

26. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

My experience is bias plys give a harder ride but definently look better. They may not last as long but are half the price. If you are going for a traditional look radials should be nowhere near your car. I run bias plys all the time, no problems at all.

27. zzford

zzford

Meet me on a skidpad or better yet, a hard wet corner at speed. My coupe is a performance vehicle, hence the use of higher performance tires and brakes.

28. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I ran both.
    started with radials, loved them. the car stuck to the road and it was like riding on a cloud.
    I got a set of bias in a trade and put them on the car, I LOVE the look. but there is a distinct difference. you FEEL the road with the bias tires and I get a little more wandering on the freeway then with my radials.
    if your suspension is worn ( like mine ) bias magnifies those problems.
    radials will "forgive" some suspension problems and make your ride a little better but its not a fix for a wornout suspension components.

I dig my radials, but I roll on bias, hey "form PRECEDES function" right?

29. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

...Oh ok. Let me see if I have this correct.

YOU would out-drive a bias tire. This is what causes you to paint a broad stroke and deem a bias tire 'unsafe'.

For your information, One can also out-drive a radial tire IF they so choose.

Therefore... using YOUR logic, radial tires raise the same 'safety' question...

...right?

Give me a break. I used bias ply tires on my DAILY driver for over 3 years. In the rain, snow and sunshine. Believe it or not, I live to tell the tale. Do you know why? Because I'm not stupid. The only thing that makes a bias tire unsafe is YOUR right foot. Everyting has a limit. If you are going to out-drive a bias ply tire, use a radial shut up about 'safety'.