Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rad. core replacement for '31 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vetteman61, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

I'm looking for a radiator core to fit in a 1931 chevrolet. It doesn't have to be the original honey comb design. The measurements of the old core are 17 5/16 wide x 24 1/4 high x 2 1/8 TH. I've found a couple but they want about $500 for them. Like I said, I don't care if it's a new style looking core as long as it will allow the car run. Anyone have ideas?

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I presume you have called radiator shops in your area.
    Most shops can get nearly any size core.
    A recore of an old radiator should run less than $500.
    KK

3. i think the mustang, 65-67 radiators will fit in the shell.......looks like hell tho.

4. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Yeah, I stopped by the shop today and asked him and he said core prices had gone up quite a bit. By the time labor and core prices are included it could be near $500-600 dollars.

5. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Check out the farm tractor wreckers. Tractor rads tend to be narrower than car/truck rads

6. The cost of copper has gone up exponentially in he last ten years..you might look around for a old school radiator shop that's been around for many years and ask them to use your tanks and install a new core,they can retro fit the outlets and pressurize it for today's engines.

It the price you were quoted you could buy a Walker radiator that you wont have to worry about. HRP

7. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

A have a John Deer Tractor Rad in my 38 Chevy the fill was capped off and a fill neck from another Rad was added for the OEM Chevy look it's 5 or 6 core and takes a long time to warm up

8. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I have a new Walker Rad ready to install when ever I get around to it

9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

get one for a 30-31 Model A. I think aftermarket alum. are approx. $300. Then, paint it black. Superior Radiator here in Mt. Clemens, MI does mail order.