Register now to get rid of these ads!

Racoons in the shop, or, This is the most disgusting thing I've ever done.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 23, 2008.

1. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

LMAO at 3WLarry..."not into rat rods." good one! but i have to say that I'm real surprised you have all your fingers(if that was you), cause i know you seen some nasty teeth coming your way with that possum tail in your hand, mean little critter. it did look young but they can still put up a fight! And for the SanDiego person- seldom scene(?) you need to get a blue tick hound dawg, no doubt about it, problem solved with no gun fire and sum good dawg fun! Either that or bait the road at night and wait with a six-pack in your rod. yeeehaw, lol.

2. Was smoking some chili peppers and grilling some roast last night. Stepped out the door to look down and to my right to see a skunk scurry away. It was sitting there looking at our cat. When I got back inside (fast) another skunk followed the first one away. They were 5 feet from me by where we sit catfood in the AM (it was all gone by the eve)

3. oldsman71

oldsman71

man i hate them critters too! I had worse, my mom rents out trailer houses (not respectable ones but pretty cruddy ones) yep shes a hillbilly slum lord, any way i went to look in one of those disasters after the non rent payers got kicked out and there was around 10 7 gallon pickel buckets full of human pee and POOP! they hadnt had water on for months, another had 3 to 4 FEET of trash in it with just a path threw it, yucky!!!! the last one made me puke! i dont go around them houses of hers no more!!!!! I think i would rather have the coons around!!! I think about that and it makes me want a shower. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. We had a family of raccoons take up residence in our basement fireplace which is unused.They entered through the chimney and although they were denied entrance to the house(sealed glass screens)I got sick of listening to them scamper across the roof incessantly.
    I also didn't know whether they were rabid or not.Having recently moved from Massachusetts where virtually ALL raccoons have rabies,I didn't want to take the chance.
    A friend of mine suggested using ammonia to get them out as their super-sensitive sense of smell cannot stand it.There was an opening in the chimney where a woodstove had once been attached(illegally)that had been covered with a metal cap.Removing the cap,I took an ammonia soaked rag hooked to a length of rigid wire(a straightened out coat hanger)and slid it into the opening.Within 30 seconds they vacated their home and I promptly installed a cap on the chimney.Haven't had a problem since.
    When living in Massachusetts,we were plagued with them.The fancy lock down top trash cans took them about five minutes to figure out how to open.We had to build a small shed for our trash cans just to keep out the raccoons.
    Now I understand coyotes are a problem in Massachusetts but they don't go after raccoons;instead they prefer domestic cats.We have a ton of them here in Southeast Michigan and they travel in packs.Three of them even brought down my friend's Golden Retriever although luckily he witnessed the event and managed to drive them off by shooting one.

5. 61TBird

61TBird

Make a hat out of them(this ones mine!)...

[​IMG]

6. No doubt about it; coons suck, damn near impossible to get 'em to go away...... :D

7. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

My dog in the avatar is a Plott Hound, so critters are not a problem. She will kill and eat just about anything that comes her way. We were working on the car a few years ago when I could see better. I looked over and she looked like she was shaking a ball glove around. Got closer and it was large mole she had dug up and she was eating it while it was still alive. Hot meal I guess. Anyway, a few days later I was sitting on the swing outside and she comes over and tosses what I thought was a ball up in the air a little and catches it with a crunch. I look at it and its the skull from that damn mole. She kept it as a souvenir I guess. I didn't really want to play catch, she sure as hell wasn't going to lick my face anymore :)

Neighbor called a couple of months later and said she was about to get sprayed by a large skunk, by the time I got out there she was eating it too. How she killed it without getting sprayed I don't know. Never saw a possum around, but she did have bad breath come to think of it sometimes.

She killed a coyote once in the yard. She was a little beat up, but there was a bloody mess on the ground. I don't know where the rest of them went, but there were a few parts on the ground that hadn't been pulled out of the dead one.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Changing the subject a little , but does anyone here coonhunt? I miss taking my Trixie out almost as bad as driving. She has a voice you wont soon forget when she is on a coon, she'll bawl the whole time she is on a scent. Gives you shivers when when she starts yodeling, telling you to come and get it. She has never been fooled as long I know. If she is yodeling, she has treed a coon. You guys that dog hunt will know what I'm talking about.

9. the squirrels in my shop were thined out by lead poisen. 177 cal.

10. hippie6

hippie6

When we finally got the guy moved out of my garage (picture a vega drag car scattered around a 24x40 garage). I started to do a bit of cleaning/ sweeping up real quick 'cause we were short on moving time. Between the 2 overhead doors was cat poop!! Cleaned that up. on the one big shelf they must have kept rabbits. You guessed it, a bunch of rabbit droppings!! And in the rafters, racoon crap!! It did smell better when I was done and I have a VERY FIRM rule.... NO VERMIN IN THE GARAGE!!! How can people work on cars and enjoy them selves surronded by crap. They were also nice enough to leave us a big dried up pile of dog poo on the living room floor!! We steam cleaned the carpets twice.

11. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

"Flybait and Mountain Dew" and DO NOT LET THE DOGS OR PETS NEAR IT!!!!!!! 98% of the time the intruders face never makes it out of the bowl. Again.....DO NOT LET ANY PETS NEAR IT!!!!!!

12. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

coons? my momma just chase em out with a broom

13. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Naw, I don't like getting the dust from their wings on my fingers...

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

you can eat pigeons, coons, squerls, I lovem all , except squerls, I dont like those unless you fry,m.

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

now that is my kind of dog. hope to meet her some day. she will like me.

16. Ramblur

Ramblur

Back in the days that I was peddling my ass around town,I kept raccoons
    as pets,crows too. Man,for a soon to be teen guy,those furry and feathered
    critters were some major chick magnets...:p

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yup, know what you mean. doesn't get better than that.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

took a while for somebody to catch this sad old joke

19. CATS! These little piss bags are all over the place around here! My shop is an old brick building with no heat and high ceilings - actually no ceiling, it just opens up to the ridge line and the corrugated metal roof. The neighbor guy is great but he harbors all these stray cats. They inner breed, cross breed and co-mingle to swell the feline population. I keep the shop closed but they still slither in between the gaps in the door and the place begins to stink! Someone even peed in the roadster body of our project car. I even leave the radio on 24/7 (to NPR) in hopes the noise will scare them off. Now that the weather is turning colder, these guys will be constantly be seeking shelter - in the shop! Guess I'll have to fix the door gaps! Maby patch the two broken windows also. This is natures way to tell us to secure the place.........................

20. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Stupid coons got in my attic last year, I trapped one, then they were too smart for the traps. Finally I ran 4 temporary lights up in the attic and left them on 24/7. They took the hint and moved out, then I made sure all their access points were closed. Unreal how much noise a coon can make when he's stomping around the attic at night.

21. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

I've never had a serious problem with Coons or anything else. I'd just grab the things and put it in a cat carrier when they were hanging in the yard a little to long or trap them in a humane trap. I'm actually about to trap a few opossums in a few days. I've caught skunks/opossums/coons before and just release them in the woods humanely instead of killing them. In my opinion, there is no reason to kill them, just relocate and let them go. I just got rid of a skunk that was living under my neighbors garage. :)

22. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

I hope it is a Ball Bearing Moust Trap!!

23. mottsrods

mottsrods

Those be a new Chi-town breed of skunk. The ones down here won't let you with-in eye's distance without sprayin' your ass.

As for killing them, I don't go stomp into their little leaf and twig houses, and they're not gonna stomp in mine. I view little animals like that as vermin. I hunt! And I eat what I kill....Deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, hogs, quail, grouse. I pay the taxes, the mortgage, power, phone, cut the grass.........stay the F$*& out.

Sorry, got the flu, feel like shit and need to vent....

Mott

24. mottsrods

mottsrods

In the words of John Newbanks, as told by comedian Jerry Clower......." Just shoot up here amongst us, one of us has got to have some relief"

Sorry, Again, Mind in the gutter, and I love Jerry Clower

Mott

25. Skunks only spray when they feel threatened. I got the shock of my life one night years ago when the dog decided he needed to go for a walk about 3 am. I took him around the house, by then he'd done the same walk so many times we didn't bother with the leash.. I get around the narrow side of the garage where the lawn is only 10 feet wide or so with big bushes opposite the wall, and I see him stopping and sniffing something up close.

Somehow he was nose to nose with a skunk, they were checking each other out, his tail wagging, like no big deal just another dog, and I walk up within 6 feet of this myself. So I run around the other side of the house as fast as I can and call the dog on around... but the skunk never sprayed either of us. I even followed it a bit after the dog was safely inside because I was curious to see if there was any chance of it being rabid. It stopped and turned and raised it's tail if I got too close, but if I backed off it went on it's merry way.

Cats are terrible, one or two is managable, but much more than that and they pee everywhere and poop everywhere and in general just make a mess. Cat pee will eat through chrome and paint and stuff, too. It's like battery acid. Tomcats especially because they have to mark their territory by spraying it with extra-fragrant pee.

26. I think killing these animals is wrong... there is a much better way. I humanely trap the animal first. Then I hold it down and shatter one of it's legs with a hammer. Then I release it and say "Now go tell your friends!" :)

27. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Thought I'd post a pic so no one thinks the "FNG" is blowing smoke up any ones butt :) I do understand wanting to take care of your house and look out for your house and family and pets but with todays technology, it's easier to trap than kill, but that's just my opinion. To each their own I guess...

One of the many skunks I released in the past.
    [​IMG]

Edit = If photos are not allowed, I'll gladly delete them...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  28. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

This thread is absolutely BETTER without pictures..

There are no pictures....correct ? :eek:

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

My new favorite line.

30. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Jerry Clower was probably the best comedian who ever lived. I like a lot of others, Ron White and Jerry Dye come to mind. Mr Clower came up on the "ag" circuit, so you had to be just enough off color to be entertaining without going "blue" like some other people like Lenny Bruce and Red Foxx had done.

Ironically Ron White can perform really well in that category, he and Jerry Dye used to do "ag" shows too. But there will never be another Jerry Clower. "Hot Steel Balls" is one of my favorite stories. I can just say that phrase out loud when I want to be a smartass around the kids, both in their 20's, and they will crack up, because they were little and listened to him. I think my son can recite every one of his stories from memory. :)