Register now to get rid of these ads!

Racoons in the shop, or, This is the most disgusting thing I've ever done.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 23, 2008.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Felt bad catching red squirells in rat traps in my garage attic.

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Animal crap is pretty f'n nasty, but not sure I would clean it up and then subject myself to the great smell of toxic chemicals on top of that. Animal crap might be pretty bad for you, but moth balls are definitely pretty bad. Certian kinds can actually kill you pretty fast if you aren't careful and mess you for the rest of your life if they don't do you in right away. I would put some gloves back on and get those moth balls out if I were you and put something else less toxic up there to help with the smell. Even some old lacquer paint might be better for you. Just some fresh flowing air would be the best. What about just putting a fan and a vent up there to circulate the air? Good luck and be careful with those moth balls, seriously. Do a search on the hamb if you want. It has been discussed before.

3. Racoons crap is bad news, they sometimes carry a parasite it their crap that if ingested by humans or other animals will grow and escape thru the stomach lining and eventually get to the brain thru the blood stream and eventually kill you. It isnt any thing to fool with , thats why I try to kill every racoon that gets into my yard. My labrador did a pretty good job of keeping them out but lately, them buggers are getting brave. Might be time to reintroduce them to the old 30-30. BE VERY CAREFULL AROUIND THAT CRAP. Mike

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Burn it to the ground and start over. That was always my father's best advise.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I trapped 3 of them out of my yard before i got the Dog..
    Had issues with a neighbor that didnt understand they were the reason these coons were comming around..no lids on trash cans , putting bags of garbage out and not in cans, and leaving her cat food out side for her dumb ass cat that evidently dont like her either..(will not come inside)

I live trapped all of them, and set them free 20 miles away in the woods..(my wife knew about it so i had no choice)..i would have shot them and cut their tails off.

dont leave out food sources..cat food, dog food, or accessable garbage..
    keep all your stuctures sound and free of small entry holes..
    and if you see one, there are alot more. Deal with them immediately!

6. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

One time a possum crawled up into my toolbox and decided to die. Somehow he managed to close the lid after he crawled in. Yeah, that was a surprise.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

You can get real sick or even die from inhaling the dust etc from thier dried up shit...Always wear a mask like you did, I forget all the details but its some kind of nasty lung infection, which can proove fatal, supposed to be one of the worst types of shit to come in contact with!!

8. mottsrods

mottsrods

Good for me it's potty trained..........that's right...it's uses the toilet.

9. There are no eves or soffits in my barn... If I hear something at night, and I look to see what it is, there are usually 2 eyes looking back at me belonging to a cat, a oppossum, a fruit rat, or the very least, a mouse.

10. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Take precautions seriously. The Galaxie was "barn fresh", and after cleaning years of dead mice and etc, I found out what the word Hantavirus means. I got really sick and I still am not not will ever be the same. Working with old barns and cars and upholstery requires precautions to guard your health.

1. Ventilate the area as well as you can.

2. Don't stir up the dust. Use a mask gloves and a paper painters outfit and clean it up with as little movement as you can. Don't use a vacuum or shop air. Pick up as much of the nest as you can and discard it.

3. Use bleach diluted with water and clean all surfaces, When a rodent walks around they drag their pecker on the ground and dribble urine. Consider nothing clean. Wash it thouroughly.

4. Throw all of your clothes away, and wash your hair outside with an antibacterial soap. Shower with an antibacterial soap thoroughly.

It is a slow process but your health is worth it. I wish I had done this.

11. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Chemically treated wood,green wood,will stop them from chewing thru.It's kept varments out of where they wanted to be for me.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used to work with a Radiologist, who of course, had a huge expensive home. He took his wife on an extended cruise, and when they got back, they found racoons had discovered the cat door. And, they did'nt even have a cat. The racoons had been through everything, and tore everything up looking for food. The place was a mess, and excrement was everywhere. Needless to say, the cat door was closed up, and he hired a pest control company to maintain his property. Another fella I worked with came home one day after work, pushed the button on his garage door opener, and there was a momma possum with her brood in the middle of his garage. They escaped the same way they came in, and he spent weeks trying to seal everything up, and trapping them. There are racoons in my current neighborhood, and they get around using the tops of fences as walkways. There's one big female with one eye and no tail, she's the ugliest thing. Between the spotty patches of woods/brush, and the golf course, they have enough cover to hide and survive. I'm sure they probably feast nightly on dogfood left out by the neighbors. There are also coyotes, but they're not as prevelant. And, I live on the cities fringe. So far, other than rats, we've not had any real problems. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Geez...I used to sit on my front deck and feed racoons out of my hand! They never ever tried getting in the house or the garbage bin. Guess I was lucky! Had 13 at once one night....

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Your lucky it was in the attic this one lives in my 30 coupe, haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Good thing you did that.
    A year back I and my dog caught walking pneumonia. I guess it was from the rat feces. We were tearing apart a mustang. She gets in there with me to explore and kill spiders.
    I was down for a week. I have never been so sick in my life.
    She almost died. Her lungs filled with fluid etc etc.
    Bad week for US.

16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

not in the shop, but a good example of keeping all holes plugged if possible: The pictures show what one of our lineman came across the
    other day while checking a meter. The critter had climbed
    up through the knockout hole and was after a mouse. Needless
    to say, neither he or the mouse made it .

Attached Files:

• sn1.jpg
      sn1.jpg
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
    • sn2.jpg
      sn2.jpg
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
  17. We kept having raccoons in our back patio knocking stuff over and making a mess. It turned out they were opening a big plastic bin where we kept the dog food and having a midnight snack every night. When we figured out a way to latch the lid of the dog food bin, they got all pissed off and knocked everything over one last time trying to get the bin open, but they never came back after that.

If you've got a dog, make sure the dog food is somewhere where the raccoons can't get to it.

18. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

looks like ya got the HAZ MAT info you need...as far as keeping them out after ya kill'em just keep a radio on when your not there, you will be surprised at how good that works(no joke)...or I could bring over my bluetick hound and have some fun. yeeeeehaw!

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Had a racoon or some other varmint living under the shed in my yard in Floriduh. I poured bleach, gasoline and some really nasty-ass bug poison at the hole, covered the hole a couple times, and nothing kept it from living under there.
    I went out one night and pissed all over the hole.
    Critter never came back. I was the bigger animal, and it understood that.

Here in Georgia, I heard something in the garage one night. We have three cats and keep the garage door open a few inches for them to come in. A 'possum was in the recycle bin digging through the cans, and one of our cats was huddled up on a chair by the house door, looking at me like "What the fuck are you going to do about THAT?!" I got Boy Wonder's pellet gun, opened the garage door all the way (the bin is right near the big door) and tried to persuade the ugly bastard to leave the garage. It walked into the corner, and refused to budge, then bit the BBgun's barrel when I tried to push it out.
    That was the last stupid thing it ever did. Two shots at point-blank range right behind the ear, and then out into the woods.
    I saw a raccoon in the woods behind our house once, but it's never come up our way. It must know we have an Airedale. The three cats keep the mice, squirrels, moles and chipmunks on the Endangered Species list in our yard. I've never seen rats.

The deal in Floriduh and the 'possum taught me a valuable lesson--at the VERY first sign of a critter losing it's fear of living alongside humans, it needs to be killed.

-Brad

20. seldom scene

seldom scene

Damn racoons arounf here got in my water garden, ate all my goldfish, tore up the plants, and came back night after night to tear it up again. They killed my neighbors expensive Koi and terrorised another neighbors dogs.
    I called wildlife control and was told that racoons are the property of the state of California, and that I was not allowed to trap, poison, or shoot them {can't shoot in the city limits anyway} all I could was not have any more goldfish or figure out a way to protect my water garden from them. After building covers that we put on at night the racoons seem to have moved on to easier pickings.

21. racer756

racer756

This thread makes me wanna git my banjo out and play a lil diddy..

22. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0

One time when I was renovating a roof on a old school i heard this buzzing. Wasps are common in roofs but this buzz had a nasty bass tone to it, like a really big insect. So i wnt down from the roof and in the attic and boy am I in a suprise: A hornets nest. We call them Stršljen, these guys -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet.
    They say it takes only 7 of those to kill a horse. Good thing I heard them cos I would have lifted a roof tile the nest was anchored on from below.
    So I set on a simple task of removing the nest. Alone. No special gear. Havent been so scared in my life. But the roof need to be done before rain and there is no exterminators in 50miles radius.
    So I took a hand pump full of gasoline, put 2 vests, a cap, a breathing mask and wrap myself in some other rags and went to kill a Hornets nest... oh and I had a protective glasses also.... it was in mid summer.
    I got to the nest but all I could hear was hump hump hump my heart racing :)
    Eventually i started spraying gasoline all over it...nothing for 7 sec, then all of a sudden all hell broke loose, the all fly out maybe 40 of these beasts in a river of black buzzing angry mothfkrs, I screamed like a little btch, throw the pump and run for my life. I jumped head first down the attick entrance landing straight in the basment.... my crew was laughing so hard they cried.
    Well the gasoline killed them all, but I had adrenalin rushes for the rest of the week.

23. Kramer

Kramer

Baked Racoon

1 small coon or hindquarter and loin of larger young coon 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.
    3-4 cups cold water
    1 tbsp. Salt
    1/3 tsp black pepper
    Salt
    Sugar
    1 onion
    3 stalks celery
    3 carrots, diced
    2 cloves garlic
    1 clove
    1 tsp sage
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tsp dark brown sugar ​
    Set oven to moderate hot (400 degrees) 10 minutes before baking. Dress coon carefully so as not to leave any clinging hair. Remove scent glands and kernels under legs. Wrap coon in plastic wrap or foil and chill thoroughly or freeze for several hours. Trim off all but a thin layer of fat and any discolored spots. Wash well in lukewarm water.
    Cut whole coon or hindquarters and loin into 4 pieces with kitchen scissors or heavy butcher knife. Put into 6 qt. kettle, add water to cover, then vegetables, salt, sugar, sesonings, garlic and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to simmering, cover and cook until tender (1-2 hrs depending on age of animal). Puree vegetables in a blender to thicken sauce.
    Bake sweet potatoes or winter squash to go with the dish. A tart vegetable such as sweet-sour red cabbage, or pickled beets are a good accompaniment. Serves 4.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

We have all kinds of critters here...this lil' guy was on Donna's potting bench.

I put some leather gloves on and picked him up slowly by the tail and took him outside...:D

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. 61TBird

61TBird

Hang bars of soap around your yard to keep the Hippies away...

26. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Should have cut off a tail and put it on your radio entenna... :)

27. mottsrods

mottsrods

3wL, you should kill that possum, have it stuffed, and use it as a dash ornament.

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...not into rat rods...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

it is good to keep big guns in the bedroom...for these times.

the mothball trick seems to work well keeping unwanted pests away. And I can understand why....did you ever get close and smell moth balls?

30. Muttley

Muttley

Box up a bunch of it and mail it to your ex. :D :D