Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rack and pinion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbostude, Nov 14, 2007.

1. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Sorting out the suspension and steering on my "Tribaker"
    http://turbostude.com/Tribaker/index.htm
    I have a power rack from a 2000 MonteCarlo to mount. Am wondering if the power and non-power racks are the same ratio. Can I run the power rack without power without problems? The vehicle is only about 2000# but will have some big meats on the front.
    Greg

2. pitman

pitman

Two aspects that play a role here, even if non-powered. Steering wheel diameter, and steering arm (at rack rod ends) length. Your's sounds lighter than a Monte, so +1 there! You may find that the arms are forged steel, and if so it may take welding w/little trouble, if you end up needing to lengthen them.

3. Graham08

Graham08

Running the power rack without power is probably going to be miserable. Without any pressure from the power steering pump, you're relying on the torsion bar in the servo to transmit all the torque required to turn the wheels, which will make the steering feel like a wet noodle.

You may want to look into a manual Pinto/Mustang II rack, or the aftermarket equivalent by Wilwood or Flaming River. They're pretty reasonable on price and available.

4. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota