Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rack an pinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budssuperpro, Sep 6, 2012.

1. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

are there any mods or racks an pinion that will work with a stock stright axle on a 1955 F-100 pickup, or a power assist that will work. a little help here.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Well hard part will be the telescoping shaft you will need. there is a blue T out in western ks that is using a rack on a solid axle. I can't recall his screen name.

4. pitman

pitman

Simplest is to mount from the rear of an axle. You'll need a slip joint in the column shaft and a sketched plan to ensure some ackerman effect.
    I don't have dimen's on your axle, but you may find a manual one, say from a Jag sedan is able enough for the truck.

5. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I have a mustange 2 rack im wondering if I can rap it on the axle.

6. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I hate to say this but im like don garlets said in an interview on tv .( you know I don't run that store bough junk.) lol im to cheep besides anybody can buy there way out its the guy that are willing to try to do it on there own .

7. Its called reverse engineering and catalogs are great for that for all types of info. Of course the Hamb is the best for info, but catalogs help.

Look at a few kits and see if anyone says what box they are using.

8. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

mid-fifty has quite an assortment at the tune of 900 to 1000 bucks by the time you get done. I dont think so, for that price. for a toyota box without core you got 700 bucks and another 400 for a install kit plus lines and u-joints. I passsss on that thanks I dont need another dependent. lol

9. Rack and Pinion's on a straight axle can be a pain to get right. Not because of Bump Steer like most rack conversions, but because there needs to be a way for the column intermediate shaft to telescope to make up for the fact that the rack is moving and the column isn't
    If it's just power steering you are after, the Toyota 4X steering box conversion is a much better way to go.

10. Buy a used box from the wrecking yard, make your own mounts and you need U Joints, lines and a telescoping shaft with the rack as well.

11. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

Hotrodder
    ya that what I been trying to do but not having any luck on finding a Toyota 4x4 box from a 1979 to 1984 that looks like this :
    [​IMG]
    and goggle on the internet comes up with boxs 300 to 400 plus another 300 core. yuk..

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Down under we use RHD Holden Camira R&Ps on Model 'A's which work quite well. R&P mounts directly to underside of rails and uses centre mounted steering arms. R&P is similar to your LHD Cadillac Cimmaron, one of the 50 worst cars of all time.

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The other way is, disconnect the driver's-side end of the r&p and run the passenger-side tie rod to an idler arm. From there it's exactly like a cross-steer set-up with a Panhard bar, only a mirror image. The idler arm allows you to play with steering ratios, and needn't be horizontal, as long as its pivot axis is in a vertical, longitudinal plane. You can even have the r&p at an angle, with the driver's-side end higher than the other, if the idler arm is vertical; might help with packaging the steering column.

14. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

Hay the steering box gods are smilling on me I got it and a power steering pump for 90 bucks. wow there are still some good people out there. thanks guys for all the help.
    Bud