Register now to get rid of these ads!

racingjunk.com safe to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjayf, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Have alot of you guys and gals used this website? I have been looking at some gm fastburn heads for sale on there and had a few questions

here is a link to the ad

http://www.racingjunk.com/Heads/2345...urn-Heads.html

(yes i know they are not old hotrod heads but they going on a gen1SBC if it helps)

I have talked to the gentlemen selling the heads and told him I wanted to purchase them. We have had good communication over the phone.

He preferes postal money order for payment and really doesnt want to use paypal in order to keep from declaring the sale as income.

Do you guys think its a safe way to pay him or am I asking to get scammed?
    He has been a member of racing junk since 2003 but there isnt any feedback on him. I figure if he is scamming people he wouldnt have an old membership.

am I just being paranoid or am I asking for trouble?
    <!-- / message -->

2. smarg

smarg

My Dad and I are both members there.

Never had any trouble buying or selling.

Pretty much abunch of guys that know what they have.

3. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

thanks for the input. Do you think a postal money order is an ok way to pay?, I usually use paypal.

4. Paypal sucks, I use money orders. Never had an issue buying or selling with them.

I also spend the 5 bucks for a Priority envelope and pay extra for delivery confirmation. USPS has never lost one of mine and it gets there in a couple days.

5. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Thanks Tman, I guess I just being a bit paranoid, but of course it doesn't mean they are not after me!

6. outlaw256

outlaw256

go over to racingjunk and get on the forums.ask the boys there if the know this guy or ever had any truoble out of him.or when you get on the forum look undr scammer section see if his name show up.

7. everything I sell and buy takes place with a postal money order, screw paypal

8. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well if there is any question about the trasnaction then do this;

get a postal money order and make it out to the individual, photocopy it before it is mailed with date and time on it and mail it certified mail with return recept, also print the add off the website for the pictures that are on the listing, and when you get the card back hold on to it and all the paper work and when the items show up and they don't happen to be what is advertised you have the pictures besides the items and all the evidence to turn over to the postal inspectors and to law enforcement and i would send copies to the attorney generals in your state and the state where the transaction took place.

this sounds like a lot of work, but it will keep you from getting screwed

especially the way things are in this day and age..........

9. roughneck424

roughneck424

I think I saw on here that if someone burns you with a Postal MO it's a Federal Offence?

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I always use PayPal but fund it with an American Express card.
    Any problems you just call AmEx , lodge your complaint they re-fund your money and go after the merchant.
    Couldn't be easier and you really don't have to get PayPal involved.

11. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

You are not being paranoid....you are being smart. And as far as racingjunk goes I have bought and sold there, and like everywhere else there are honest car people and scammers on every selling portal, But I have never been burnt there ....(yet)
    All you can do is trust your instincts, you have talked to the guy...postal MO is a safe acceptable venue to pay and hope for the best.

12. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Been a member on racingjunk for many years. Excellent site.

13. My brother-in-law uses it all the time. No troubles so far.

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I have had good luck using racejunk in the past.

15. Movinman

Movinman

Racingjunk is a good, reputable site. I have been on there for several years, and have never been burned.

16. X2. I've never been burned by a postal money order, buying or selling,,,, but paypal has bent me over a few times.

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I use R/J all the time to buy and sell. I only use postal m/o for all transactions. 5 star.

18. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I am a member on Racing Junk as well, and as stated above I use paypal, but with a credit card, because I have had an issue where paypal told me to try and work with the guy so I did. After all the back and forth with the guy, I was buying from and promised delivery dates I had had enough, I told paypal, they said it went past the 45 day period they worked with, so I called my credit card company and let them handle it which they did.

19. oj

oj

Don't do it! Paypal is your only protection.

20. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I am also a member. Keep in mind you don't need to do much to become a member and there is always the chance there is a bad guy using it. Paypal using a credit card gives you some protection since you can contest sales with the card company.

21. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

PayPal is your best friend when it comes to these kind of transactions

22. I've bought and sold cars on that site quite a bit. Like the other posts, Just use GOOD judgement!!

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

The main reason Pay-pal is not used is because of the assholes that pay with Paypal,claim later that they didn't recieve their stuff,then Pay-pal gives them their money back and they have screwed the seller ,has his parts and money back. If you don't think you can trust a seller just remember he has to trust you too. Pay-pal is just a middle man,going to get their money no matter if its good deal or bad.

24. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

thanks for the good input, I'll check out the forum and send him a Postal money order and send it certified mail,, keep the receipt.. and go from there... thanks again guys
    Jason