Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing in Atlantic Iowa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtx1800, Aug 14, 2020.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last year I made a passing reference to a "once a year" event held in Atlantic Ia (this will be the 4th year) at the Atlantic Airport on September 13th (located about halfway between Omaha NE and Des Moines IA) by Heads Up Drag Racing, The link to FaceBook is listed below.
    https://www.facebook.com/HUDR2017/

here is a little more info I copied from the FB site.
    CALLING ALL DRAG RACERS AND SPECTATORS THE DAY IS NEARING:
    September 13, 2020, racing from 11am to 3pm.
    TECH: starts at 9am. The ONLY parking at the airport will be for the drivers and pit crew. MUST AS ALWAYS HAVE A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE TO DRIVE.
    ALL SPECTATORS: will be picked up and dropped off at Mahle as in years passed. There will be extra buses on hand for the COVID distancing. If need extra assistance to and from the the bus drop off at the airport there will be support vehicles to do so.
    SEATING: Due to COVID also there will be no bleachers this year. Must bring own seating.
    FOOD: Vendors will be on sight.
    We are working with the airport personel for a BURN OUT CONTEST. There will be more information on this to come as we get things worked out.
    Drivers don’t forget:
    Long pants, close toed shoes, and a valid drivers license required for racing!
    *Check out posted rules on the page for any other questions
    See ya soon for a day full of racing!!!
    Tech (as I remember) included needing a catch can on the radiator, seat belts, safe location for the gas tank, probably more
    I will edit if I get better info.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just pay the 20 dollar fee for racing and get a better parking spot. Then make one embarrassing pass and head home quickly.

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

The trick is to find someone else running about the same embarrassing pass as you did, and race them as much as possible during the test and tune. I promise if your side by side with someone running the same speed as you are, your going to have fun. The whole deal becomes between you and him, and how fast it actually was, doesn't really matter unless your chasing trophies or cash. Gene

thintin, partsdawg and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, you can run me then you won't have an embarrassing pass:) I may take the Studebaker this year:) Hope to see you there!!

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@gene-koning I had a good time and lost every race except against a Mustang. The Willy's pickup gasser that I ran jumped the light on me (red lighted) so I guess I beat that one but........she (yes she) would have beaten me.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s on their local airport runway. They shut it down for this event. Just show up and run all day long. No prep. Not many rules. The big shots with horsepower complain of no traction. No classes, no awards either. Remember. I have a lowrider. They are low and slow.

vtx1800 likes this.
  7. Roadsir

Roadsir

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

1/8th. The 11th and the 12th and 13th, swapmeet in Greenfield Iowa. Put on by the Early Wheels of Iowa. Which is the next county over. Then drag racing the 13th in Cass county. Better check for cancelations before heading over to make sure. You never know.