Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Race gas in Greenville, SC area???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stude350guy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. I've got a '69 Pontiac 428 engine with 10.5 compression. Pump gas gives it indigestion (detonation) which I've countered with retarded timing which overheats things. ARRRGH! Need to go with large chamber 6X-4 or 4X heads to get the compression down.

In the meantime I'm wanting to mix race gas with pump to get something I can drive on until I do some compression altering. A friend told me Echols Oil of Greenville had 100-110 octane available but calling them this morning revealed they don't sell this anymore nor do they know of anyone. Reading here on the HAMB it appears that magic octane in a bottle doesn't really work well at all. Anyone in this area know where I could get some 100+ octane gas to use until I do some engine work???

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Got an airport close by? Try a can of 100 octane LL (low lead). I bought it for the stock cars all the time. I have a local station, OK Petroleum that has a Cam 2 pump.

3. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

go to http://www.racegas.com/fuelfinder and enter greenville SC in the search window. It shows places on Haywood Rd, South Pleasantburg, and White Horse that have Sunoco race gas.

The Spinx station on 25 at TR had a race gas pump for a long time but I don't think they sell it anymore.

The Sunoco stuff may be sold in 5 gallon cans rather than at a pump. Most info says race gas needs to be kept in a sealed container to prevent going stale, and a place with a pump would have to move a lot of gas at 8 or 9 bucks a gallon to keep the stock fresh.

Don't know if its true or not, but I've read that airports aren't allowed to sell "carry out" av-gas any more.

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I think Greer dragway still has a guy there on Thursday and Saturday nights. Also the circle K on 290 at Tyger river dr in Duncan has a pump.

5. Great info......I really appreciate it you all! Been wanting to go up to the old Appalache Drag Strip ( now Greer dragway) on a Thursday nite with my nephew for a few grudge runs. Will have to check on the gas there. Will also check out the Sunoco and Circle K stations too for some "good stuff". Thanks!!!

6. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Could you convert to E-85? I use it in my 4.3L Sonoma. It has an octane rating of about 105. Gas mileage dropped from 17 to 12 mpg, but I didn't build it for gas mileage. I'm running a turbo with 13 1/2 lbs of boost. When I was in the AF, some of the guys would burn some of the 115/145 avgas. Worked pretty good. Bob

7. My local speed shop sells the VP gas in 5-gallon cans, pretty steep but it sells.

We had this little gas station around for years when street racing was huge (NW corner of Carlls Path and LI Avenue in Deer Park for my homies...). Just a 8' x 10' shack and 1 CAM2 pump, he was open a few nights a week only.

8. I work for VP. Call Mike at Greer Dragway. You can purchase 5 or 55 gal drums cheaper from him than you can if you drive to Commerce Ga to VP plant. 864-877-0320 is the office number.

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stude350guy likes this.
  9. Thanks!!!! I'll give Mike a call. I expect the 5 gallon quantity will do me as dragging doesn't use that much gas in a summer. Appreciate it, Rat Rod!

10. Thank you, rarrodtrucker****, Really appreciate your info. I called Mike at Greer Dragway, we arranged a mutual meeting time for today, and I now have 5 gallons of VP race gas in my garage (and the price was great)!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  11. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

They probably can't sell it as carry out because no state taxes are being paid. Just a guess. I burn E-85 in my Sonoma which is about 105 octane. Maybe this would work for you. Google E-85. Good luck.

Stude350guy likes this.