Register now to get rid of these ads!

History R&R been goin' downhill since Buddy Holly died

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John356, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John356

John356

Fifty years on,and I still remember where I was when I heard the news.

2. belair

belair

the day the music died

3. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Almost 50 years, that's on Tuesday. :(

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

bye bye miss american pie

5. my dad got stuck on his way to Buddys last show in that same storm...........

6. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

the crash sight is about 90 miles from me. they are having a big 50 year anniversary at the SURF BALLROOM in clearlake iowa. there is even a memorial erected at the crash sight in the farmers field [ a large replica of buddies glasses] time sure flies

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

RIP.

I never saw Buddy Holly perform in person, but made out a lot, dancing to the music on the nickle juke box..........

Was IN LOVE with Patsy Cline.

RIP

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. Lost Billy Powell during the week, he managed to survive the plane crash that wiped out Lynyrd Skynyrd. Must have a hell of a band up there the other side of the pearly gates.

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The Surf Ballroom had a huge gathering yesterday with friends/family members of Ritchie,Buddy,and the Big Bopper.

Wish i was there !

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The day the music died.............

Attached Files:

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

If you're truly in to real music this will hit a nerve.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_lGx3UPpMw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_lGx3UPpMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

great story today in the Wisconsin State Journal. Seems as though the promoter was a cheapskate and was chasing the boys all over four states in a series of poor running buses without functional heaters. They had done a show in Duluth, MN (Bob Dylan in the audience) and were traveling in one of those shitty buses through a storm and the bus broke down 15 miles South of Hurley. Long story shot, they made it to Milwaukee via train for the next show, then another crappy bus ride to Clear Lake. When Buddy found out the next leg of the journey was on a similar bus, he couldn't take any more and decided to lease a private plane. And the rest is history.

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vzQA7W5BvAM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vzQA7W5BvAM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

Alex that video just gave me goosebumps all over.

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

id love to go to that myself........cant believe the surf ballroom is still threre

16. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

and what a m.c. to host Alan Freed

17. autobilly

autobilly

One of the few cool things my (blood) Father ever did for me was expose my ears to the dulcet tones of Buddy Holly at a tender age. As John356's Milner quote says; "Rock'n'Roll's been goin down hill since Buddy Holly died".

18. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Goosebumps from head to toe.
    RIP Buddy

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

im a huge buddy holly fan,,,,,,,my cats are even named buddy and holly,,,,,,,,,,,there is a great book called: buddy holly a biography, by ellis amburn,,,all true buddy holly fans should read it,,,,,,gives VERY graphic details of the scene of the plane crash,,actually a little too much info,,,,anyway,,,excellent read....

20. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Great book. I picked it up in hardcover in the bargain bin for $5.99 a few years back. Paul McCartney narrated a documentary called "The Real Buddy Holly Story" sometime in the 80's. I've got it taped on VHS. One of these days, I'm going to have it converted to DVD. As a kid delivering newspapers, around 1977, one of my customers was having a yard sale. We had talked about Buddy Holly before & I new he had an original Buddy Holly album. I asked him if he was selling it at the yard sale. He said no, but then went inside & came out with it. I gave him a couple of bucks for it & have cherished it ever since. At a time when everyone my age was listening to the Bee Gees, I was emersed in Doo Wop & Rockabilly. Thirty-some years later, nothing's changed.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

They were some of the GREATEST musicians that ever hit the AM stations . There were many more great musicians that we lost but those three were so great ! Their music will live forever !
    Axel , thanks for the memories !

22. Tony

Tony

Feb 3 1959 marked a day that would effect many people..
    I too am a HUGE Buddy Holly fan..I had planned to actually start a post on Tues morning around the time of the crash as a tribute to Him, Richie and J.P. still might.

I wasn't there or even thought of being i'm 34.....but was brought up listening to thier music thanks to my dad..

Axle..THANKS for posting the vids you did..Both are deep and left me sitting here once again, just shaking my head in sadness.
    The gig at the Surf last night was also broadcasted on Sirius sat radio. I listened to all of it wishing i could have been there myself.
    Someday very soon i want to make the trek to Clear lake to visit the Surf, and to the crash site..And someday to Buddy's grave to pay my respects.

Music is a HUGE part of my life..and Buddy Holly was, and is one of the best if not the best......

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5x9PPtPmoy4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xm1oI6TbORU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xm1oI6TbORU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TcC_ni0ojo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TcC_ni0ojo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tragic loss.......
    R.I.P. fellas..you've left a mark that could never be erased.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  23. Axel, I know years ago in phone conversations with you I said my dad was there. It was tidbits of a story, one of those things that can get twisted over time. like I posted above, he never made it and got caught in the same storm that killed Buddy on thier way to the show. dad never made it to the gig.

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I had been to the Prom Ballroom in St.Paul and Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper and Richie Valens were there.Shortly after my folks and I were driving back from Wisconsin and we heard the news over the AM radio in Dad's '56 Chevy about the crash,so glad I was able to see them perform.I was always an Eddie Cochran fan,too young,too soon also.Would love to go to Albert Lea to Eddie's festival lots of great music and cars.My wife and I drove thru Lubbock on the way back from our Tennessee trip,I stopped and asked if there was any memorials to Buddy that could be seen and asked several people and they didn't have a clue who he was:( Sad.

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This thread makes me proud to belong to a traditional Hot Rod community that allows us to pay due respect to the greats of traditional R'n'R.I know forums that would delete a thread like this.
    Viva la HAMB
    Viva Buddy,Richie & J.P.
    Paul

26. rusty48

rusty48

That was a great loss for R&R,then the damn Beatles came over in 64 and about finnished it off.

27. Tony

Tony

Not crazy about the Beatles either, but i will say that Buddy Holly was a great influence on them. Paul McCartney made a very good movie called "The Real Buddy Holly Story" after the "Buddy Holly Story" came out.
    It's a documentary, and a must see for those who are fans.

50 Year's ago tonight, they played thier last 'gig, and at around 1am on the 3rd, they left us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.