Register now to get rid of these ads!

R.I.P. My Cali H.A.M.B. bros-you got SCREWED...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Swartz is in bed with the Gore and Obama with this one..!

Swartzenegger went to "Pebble Beach" of all places to announce his Vision for "GREEN CARZ"...!

What I can't believe is that SEMA folded to these demands... but I guess it means more money for SEMA so that they can "Bolster sales" of New Gizmo's instead of everybody buying used parts outside of the SEMA circle... It's all about "CONTROL"!!

2. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

if you do some research you'll find that this retro fit kit and this whole deal has been in the works long before gm became usamotors.

i think you guys are looking too far into this to try and find some kind of conspiracy or something.

3. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

no, you're right. this whole thing is just a knee jerk reaction and a gripe session about how horrible people think things are in california.

4. nutajunka

nutajunka

What happens to the poor fellow, who bought one of these and finds out later after the deal was done? Pay for someone else's dishonesty?....:eek:

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Actually it's cruise ships.

6. It's all over 2012 anyways...

7. Low

Low

I read this article and the first page of responses made me laugh so hard. It is called reading comprehension gentleman. Learn it! SCV stands for SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION VEHICLES. This does not include any car that was manufactured by GM, FORD, CHRYSLER or any other car company that issued a VIN number with the car. So quit being afraid of "communism" you ll be ok.

8. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Glad I live in the oppressive east coast old north state!

9. Larry T

Larry T

This thread isn't really about old cars, but some states don't have titles for older cars now. That's how the title companies do their magic.
    Larry T

10. ViseGrip

ViseGrip

Thank God I live in Mississippi. I know that most think it's a backwards state. But thats ok, There's alot of rual area still here. You can work on
    your car, make all the noise you want and no one will complain. Cars built before a certian year I think it's 1969 are not required to be titled. You can if you want to but it's not required. There are no emmission standards. If a car was buit before 1962 it does not even need an inspection sticker. Now as much as i would like to have a few more Hot
    Rodders around, all of you guys please don't rush to our backwards little state. It seems the more people you get the more problems you have.
    I think it because the goverment thinks that the more people you have the more goverment officals you need. Some of you have hit the nail on the head. It's the elected officals that are causing most of the problems.
    get out and vote. Get these idiots out of office. The people in America
    have the power to do whatever they want. We just have to stick togeather.

11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Good, I started to think that I was the crazy one!

I hear ya. I read the article and thought I must have missed something 'cause everyone's panties were in such a wad....so I read it again! :D

Frankly, I like this new rule (I better duck in here saying that....) as I have always followed the rules (meaning I obey the law) and think others should too. Yes, I even built and registered a vehicle as a "specially constructed vehicle" in 2006 when I could have easily cheated.

12. Ha ha- some of you people are some funny fuckers that can't read/comprehend.

13. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Good point. The notion that this has anything whatsoever to do with the auto industry bailouts or President Obama is just silly. Let's try not to make it out to be something more than what it really is.

14. Here's where it gets weird.

Let's say the car in question is a Brookville '32 body on repro rails, with a Flathead or Buick Nailhead or early Cad motor, Halibrand QC, vintage wheels, etc. Now let's say the car was home built/titled in California 2004, using a secondary market "historical document" 1932 Ford title.

No goldchainer Boydolicious billet tupperware here; this describes many, many HAMB cars. Realize though that the state isn't concerned with aesthetics. No matter how steel, bitchin', period correct that "1932" is, to the State it's just as much a fraudulent Specially Constructed Vehicle as a mail order Street Beast.

I understand the logic of collecting back taxes on the car if the title misrepresents it as a "real" 1932 Ford. Fine, let the owner take his lumps. But if I read this press release correctly, that hot rod is now also subject to California new car (or at least very restrictive) emissions. Unless he gets one of those precious 500 exemptions, the owner will have to toss the Flathead/Nailhead/Cad in favor of the state approved "green kit" SBC.

In the timeless words of Thomas Jefferson, fuck that shit. For the record I would be exempt because both my coupes are OEM Henry Ford steel. But this is the proverbial camel's nose in the tent, and it's not unimaginable for the state to next start going after any modified vehicle. "First they came for the fiberglass kit cars; but I did not speak up because mine is steel," etc.

The consequences of this?

The market for repro bodies (including Brookville) will take a huge hit.

OEM body / frame prices will go even more crazy.

Look for a wave of California hot rods showing up on eBay in 2010.

15. johnboy13

johnboy13

This could have already been posted, I didn't read through all five pages, but doesn't this only apply to people that are claiming their car is something else? Like those with false VIN's and titles that don't match the car? Seems to me they're just trying to right a wrong. Get the correct paperwork and you'll be fine.

16. nutajunka

nutajunka

But it is about titling..........plus their were scv's being built back then...:eek:

17. So does this all mean that if I want to build a Brookville '32 roadster running a flathead with 3 deuces, the car would have to pass emissions? Hmmmm ......

18. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

Winter must be starting early in the fly over states, because these "I sure am glad I dont live in California" threads usually dont start until December.

Here's a news flash, no one here misses you or wants you.
    I hope more leave.

19. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

When hot rods are outlawed, only outlaws will have hot rods.

20. rick finch

rick finch

Somebody PLEASE shut this stupid thread down!:mad:

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I ain't skeered!

But don't be stickin' anything up my tailpipe either.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... I read through this, and yes it's a little disturbing, but not a shocker. There are more "SCV" builders here in California than anywhere else, so why wouldn't they be trying to pass something like this?

As I see it (and I'm being a little optimistic here) they're referring to people who are building and/or driving vehicles that fall in the "special construction vehicle" catagory. And they're ESPECIALLY targetting the owners of SCV's that didn't register/title their vehicle as SCV's and should have.

As already stated, this is targetting people who are titling their 1932 Ford Fiberglass body on aftermarket frame as something other than "SCV". Or more specifically, people who are taking it even further and registering their car as something entirely DIFFERENT. I don't know how they will ultimately track them all down, but that's the idea.

If you have a REAL 1931 Ford, and your numbers are ALSO for a 1931 Ford, and your title/registration says you have a 1931 Ford, I'm guessing this would ease your worries.

On another note, I've been living here for just a couple years and the politics are REDICULOUS here!!! I don't think I can stay here forever. Too bad. Such a beautiful place to live and so many neat things here.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm confused.

24. A few folks actually comprehended this for what it is... but Jeez...so many guys getting ready to hop on the f*cking dooms day bandwagon...does most auto hobby related legislation rub me the wrong way? YES! Do I vote? DAMN RIGHT!

I really think that this applies to so few, it's amazing how many responses this thread is getting. Is it an item of potential concern? Maybe. Does it really effect everyone with a Rod? NO! If you have a smog exempt car/truck in CA (1975 and older) they don't ever look under your hood anymore, unless you're being an idiot.

And frankly, as a CA resident, if they found a large population of special construction vehicles that were licensed fraudulently, I'm glad they're offering amnesty, and giving them a chance to make it right. I pay my taxes, and don't think special consideration is due anyone...particularly when it comes to auto registration...

The 500 smog exemption certificate lottery is nothing new. And I know a fellow who got his on the first try...not a big deal.

Would confiscating SCV's with fraudulent title information be a better option? I think some of the existing SCV's with bogus titles would be better off starting the whole process over with the smog exemption lottery, and taking their medicine with fresh title/registration...

My 2 cents...

25. Larry T

Larry T

If the SCV's were titled legallly back then, then they are legal now.

Larry T

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  26. I get the false registration part. Collecting underpayed taxes and all that. So this means that only the violators will have to install this retrofit kit? for $11,000? this is bad news for all the cali hot rodders, I don't care how you sugar coat it.

27. people in Cali are rich so who cares anyways...that's why the call it the "golden state" haha

j/k

28. Thank you,Zman for the clarification. It's exactly what it is:Fascism. Do some research on Mussolini and Hitler and their ties to corporations in their home countries(and the control over those individuals that those corporations had),and-are you ready?-OUR OWN! As was said on the first page;follow the moolah. Some "Corporate Entity" is producing these "kits"(question;Do they actually work and have they been "tested"? Sorry,that's two Q's) that run 6 Grrr,and the installation(probably performed by folks from a "tied-in" company) runs another 5 thou. Cha-effin-ching!

Interesting that the Cali guys have weighed in with "It's not that big a deal...". I'm not saying that sarcastically or offensively,OK? Merely stating what's been posted... Is the wording,as presented on page One, the COMPLETE bill? It's the unspoken and misinterpreted that'll bite ya in the ass,you know. It worries me that our broke-ass state, Unemployed-igan,will attempt such folly. With the Guv on her last term,I could see her "making her mark" on the political landscape of our state.

This thread,IMO,should rate a "sticky" as long as it doesn't turn away from the informational aspect,and turn into just a political bash-fest. The motion is made...

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

It's only bad news for the cali hot rodders whom broke the law. I won't loose sleep over punishing those.

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Damn, you beat me to it. Fucking communism? Shit...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.