Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage R.A.S.R. Racers Against Street Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustahaulic, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I was a little bummed I didn't get to attend the HRSN Hotrod Street Nats in Louisville this weekend due to logistics problems, ect...( I really like that swapmeet)whatever...anyway...for a while now a Dr. who leases the Farrington Airport (which started life as a 1/4 mile dragstrip long ago, late 50's earl 1960's ish) leases it for his private planes, and it's alsohome of the local "Life Flight Helicopter" has been allowing some racing there and decided to do it right and full blown, started a non-profit organization R.A.S.R. *Racers Against Street Racing*...and he's putting up guardrails/light tree, return road and repaving the first 1/8 mile (this year) maybe 1/4 next yr if it takes off..and they had a lil fund raiser/ carshow/ swapmeet and a few test and tune runs down the track...
    Was a lot of fun and I was glad to have missed my original plans...I support this idea as several kids have died or been seriously injured lately trying to evade police while street racing around here, the lastest a 17 yr old girl...It was also nice to see the McCracken Co. sheriff dept and the Paducah City Police show up in support of this as well...
    The swapmeet was kinda slow and I didn't sell much and so when they decided to sell guardrail spaces I was first in line and bought the 1st 2 pieces...and they're right on the Start Line:)...
    One for my Hotrod shop:D
    and the other for the H.A.M.B.
    (it's OK Ryan, I'll send ya the bill later;)),
    I think this is a worthy cause and I also think many people on here would support a cause like this...
    I made phone calls and sold 8 more for them as well...If anyone else would care to get a "piece"...
    of "guardrail" you deviets..lol...lemme know if your interested, they need all the help they can get, and I'll put you in touch with the RASR group...
    Oh yea, since it non-profit it 100% tax deductable...Get yours while they last
    I'm also sitting down with the owner and the RASR committee next week to see about sponsoring an nostalgia drags weekend at this location...say tuned for details...:D

Here's some pix...I also shot some video of us playin around too but havn't figured out how to post it yet...never you-tubed b4.

RASRDragstripSunday 004.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 005.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 007.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 008.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 009.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 010.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 011.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 012.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 013.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 014.jpg

RASRDragstripSunday 015.jpg

2. oldsman71

oldsman71

sounds pretty darn cool!!!!

3. Here's the R.A.S.R. info:

and for sposnsoring a section of guardrail

P.M.B 120 R.A.S.R. Inc.
    3240 Lone Oak Rd.
    Paducah, KY 42003

Patrick (P.J.) Slayden
    President of R.A.S.R.
    270-519-9569
    [email protected]

4. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Keep us in the loop on any upcoming events.I'll get the word out and we'll fire up the hotrods and drive down! Only a short drive from Owensboro Area!
    Good Luck!!

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Go down to the Paducah Sun and ask to speak to David Cox. He's the editorial page editor. Tell him his brother suggests he write an editorial in support of getting kids off the street and on to the strip, as you nicely summed it up above.

6. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Hell yeah, I wish we had somthing like that around here, our old dragstrip closed back in 2005! Cool pics, thanks for sharing! Cool story too!

7. Thanks, that's a great idea! I remember you PMing me about some other stuff a few weeks ago...He'll be one of my first calls Monday...Thanks again...Chris~

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  8. WOW, check out the traction bars on the Chevy coupe!

9. I know, crazy huh...I think they're bridge truss's!...ha! that car is an original 60's gasser that had sat in a barn since 1969, paint, logo's, 327, Hilborn 4 spd and all...the owner Jeff is gonna join the HAMB, he'd never of heard of it till Sunday...
    Ahh, spreading the gospel of the HAMB one burnout at a time...

10. '32 Bantam

'32 Bantam

Keep me updated wtih what you have going on down there. I'm near St. Louis so I might have to come down sometime. We have a vendor trailer and sell t-shirts, Snell rated helmets and other things. It also hauls my altered.:D

www.crossbonesmotorsports.com

11. i work out of paducah and get up that way every now and then , this is a great idea , keep us updated and if you are making a list put me on it..

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a really cool thing you guys have there. I hope it takes off and thanks for the cool pics.

13. This is the kind of responce/interest I was hoping for.
    :):):)
    I'm making a list of interested parties and contact info for:
    General attendence:
    Nostalgia racing participants:
    car show participants:
    vendors (commercial/pvt):
    swapmeet:
    entertainment:

If I've missed you or think you may be interested in any way please let me know...
    No Date confirmed as of yet, but sometime this fall is a possibility, if not then in the spring...

The track is located in next to PIR
    Paducah Internation Raceway:

were within 45 miles of
    SE MO (Cape Girardeau)
    15 miles from S IL
    50 miles from S IN
    50 from TN
    2 1/2 hrs from Memphis
    135 miles from Nashville
    Please help keep this thread alive by posting your
    possible interest.

14. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a noble Dude the Dr. is ,sounds great . Good luck with the track. there should be a couple of those in every state.

15. Those traction bars must weigh 100+ pounds, thats a cool 36!!

16. Yea they are serious sized pieces...
    I bet they're 100#'s each...
    I'm tryin to get them both (the 55 and 36) to attend the HAMB Drags...

17. I spoke with PJ (R.A.S.R. PRESIDENT) last night and he informed me that they made enought money this past weekend to get guardrails and that he had just returned from a banzi roadtrip to Indy to procure it...

SO IT WON"T BE LONG NOW AT ALL:D