Register now to get rid of these ads!

R-10 Borg warner wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Sep 30, 2012.

1. That is a bit close. You dont want to cook that piece!! Big $$$ if you got to replace it. Move the exhaust before you drive it. Todd

2. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Been driving car at least once a week now...didnt realize it was that close:eek:
    Will take to muffler shop in morning

3. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Get car back later this week.Went to have exhaust rerouted;after which, ended up putting the car in the shop for a tune-up,synchro those carbs...etc;when I get car back then I will finish OD project.
    THANX for all the feedback

4. Anxiously awaiting an update on this!

5. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

Makes sense to go with a relay, I didn't know they drew that kind of amperage. Winter project list.

6. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok,got car back from shop.Installed dual point distributor,synchronized the carbs,installed the Beehive oil filter.Took over 2wks ;Could have done it all in one or two days.Another lesson learned,i guess.Anyways this wknd will test drive the OD setup.

7. young olds

young olds

I just put a 3 speed with r-10 in my car, read this thread to see wiring options. I had put the idea together to use a relay with switch power off the key instead of on a toggle switch and then to use the governor to switch the overdrive on with no other input. My idea was to have an automatic overdrive shift with little or no input by me, while using the pull cable to lock out the overdrive when not needed. After reading this im wondering if my idea will work? Also ive read you cant compression break with this trans nor can you leave it in gear to hold it on hills, this thread suggests otherwise.

8. I've had no problems with leaving the trans in gear on a hill with o/d OFF and cable out.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. young olds

young olds

Thanks for the clarification on that, my parking brake doesn't hold on the steeper hills and I compression brake a lot in town. What are your thoughts on my wiring idea, I saw someone else mentioned something similar but if i remember correctly it involved a toggle switch.

10. Should work fine with the gov., that's pretty close to factory style wiring (minus the kickdown).

11. young olds

young olds

12. Any updates Danny??

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  13. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

weather has been pretty bad lately.Might get out 2morrow&take car for a short drive.Just been busy with more important honey doos lately...

14. I hear you Danny. Shitty weather here too. The big boss lady has a mile long list for me also! Todd

15. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

:)Drove the car today.It ran great!The OD seemed to work just fine.Only used it on the highway.THANKS everyone who showed an interest:cool:

16. young olds

young olds

I finally got around to hooking up my cable and wiring but nothing happened. When i pulled my cable it didnt freewheel, i could still compression brake. Im not sure if my solenoid is activating. any help would be great.

17. Cable should be pushed IN for o/d.

Glad to hear it's working.

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

:cool:Thanks 4 all the help 1oldtimer

19. young olds

young olds

I hooked up my soleniod directly to a toggle switch and tested it, it is activating. tried activating overdrive and nothing happened, just read that the cable is supposed to be in for overdrive:eek: I have been pulling it. So the cable is supposed to be pushed in for overdrive, lever on trans pushed back towards output?

20. young olds

young olds

Ive tried overdrive with the cable in and out, neither way works. Also im not getting a freewheel either way, any ideas?

21. wallyracer449

wallyracer449

have you tried powering solenoid with cable in ,in second or third gear while driving its been awhile since i drove mine but i don't think it free wheels till its in o\d

22. young olds

young olds

I've tried with the cable in and out, powering the solenoid after moving the cable. I think I tried in second once but usually In third. I let off the gas and also tried pushing in the clutch

23. young olds

young olds

I tried the overdrive again today, still isn't shifting but when I got off the freeway it seemed locked up when trying to pull away from the light. It would roll slightly then stop like like tied to something. It would only move after disengaging the solenoid