Register now to get rid of these ads!

R-10 Borg warner wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I have a '62 3sp+od in a daily driver only vehicle '49 Chevy 1/2 ton. I have mine set up with a pull/push on/off not using the governor. I also have a 'reminder light' to help let me know the od is engaged.

The acute danger in this set-up is this situation which can happen quite frequently... you have the od engaged let's say in 2 od, you drift to a stop on a slight hill, if the car should drift backwards, it can ruin the sun and satellite gears. The reason for the governor (one of the reasons) is that it absolutely prevents this situation by shutting off the od at 25-28 mph.

That said I have successfully used my od w/o a governor for 12 years as a dd only vehicle. I can and do use the 6 speeds, 1 under, 1 over, 2 under, 2 over, 3 under, 3 over. I can't let anyone use my truck as the risk of killing the trans is too great. I am rebuilding 'The Holy Grail' , a '69 SAGINAW 3sp with Borg-Warner od. It has a too cool adjustable governor, and of course ALL-Synchro 3 sp. I WILL hook up the governor to this trans, the parts are getting rarer and I can loan out my truck with confidence.

Regards,

Cosmo

2. Napa should be able to cross reference it. I liked that one because of the wiring and the metal case looked sorta factory, you could use a plastic relay also.

3. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

:confused:Ok,so i can wire up using ry4 relay,toggle switch,using solenoid&gov;BUT with out kd switch?Cant mount up on carbs:eek:to engage flip switch after pushing in cable,right?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Yes.

I think of it as two transmissions. Pull out the lockout and you have a 3 speed with transmission engaged while in gear, no freewheeling. YOU MUST PULL THE LOCKOUT TO ENGAGE REVERSE. This applies to using either of the two trans.

Lockout cable pushed IN, overdrive capable mode. I use an on/off switch instead of kickdown when I want to go from OD to regular third gear, to pass or downshift for a hill. YOU MUST PULL THE LOCKOUT TO ENGAGE REVERSE.

I don't do both transmissions at once. If you don't understand that last sentence you will when you start driving with your transmission. Cut the sentence out and tape it above the speedo for a couple weeks. For the novice od owner I think using the governor is the way to go.

Lots of good advice here from people who know these trans.

Regards,

Cosmo

5. Yup, push cable in, flip toggle at the same time let off gas. To disengage it's (for me) it's clutch in, toggle off, cable in, clutch out and tap gas. On mine I'm not using the governor, just a toggle, relay, solenoid and cable.

6. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I want that gov in the picture.So how would I wire it up with BOTH solenoid&gov working?Have the relay and a 20amp lighted toggle switch.12ft of #10 wire&12ft of #12.a PICTURE would help clarify:)

Wire in hand;car in the air-

danny

7. Since I believe the gov. grounds at speed, you can have it take the place of the toggle switch on the relay. So now the gov goes to terminal #5, the toggle switch goes to terminal #2 and the other side of the toggle switch goes to a switched 12v source. You could take the toggle out of the system if you want to use the gov.

8. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

1oldtimer,
    You've been a big help:)I need to know where/how to hook up the gov&solenoid.A pic would help.Arnt there more than 1 place on the solenoid for wires:confused:
    What size wires should I use?All #10?
    #12 okay for switch&power?
    Danny

9. 10g wires should be ok. I believe the solenoid has a power wire and the other is ground (from the kickdown switch), you just need the power wire (see my picture of the solenoid). Maybe try this wiring set-up with the gov.

Attached Files:

10. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

I run a lighted switch on the dash just in front of the shifter, fused. After the engine is warm, I let off the gas in 3rd, flip the switch and I have od in all three gears. I usually leave it on, 3.89 gear. If I want to stand on it, switch it off. Mark

11. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok bear with me---Just want to see if I understand.With everything hooked up;I should have an "automatic"OD as long as the cable is pushed in&switch on.Accelerate in 2nd;let up on pedal;should go into OD(same for 3rd).Lighted switch there to remind me also that am in OD.Which would work in 2nd&3rd gears.Since gov is wired then OD drops out below preset speed.So take off will be "as"a standard 3speed.EVERY time I want to go in reverse I need to pull out the cable/switch off.

Question:Can I pull cable OUT for reverse AFTER stopping&before I put trans in reverse;since gov drops OD out?Or:confused:

12. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

There is an internal linkage inside of the R10 that will mechanically disingage the overdrive when you shift into reverse. The overdrive cable can be left in overdrive at all times.
    If the gov. is functioning you can leave the power switch on at all times as the gov will disengage overdrive at low speeds.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  13. Randy Rundle, at 5th Ave. Internet Garage, sells a cheap and essential Borg Warner Overdrive manual that describes how these units work and how to wire them CORRECTLY.
    He will also convert 6V solenoids to 12V. Yes the 6V solenoids work on 12V but the contacts inside take a beating and eventually fail. These solenoids can draw up to 30A when energized so using a small toggle switch without a relay is not wise.

Dennis Carpenter sells reproduction kick-down switches, for those that need them.

Randy Rundle also sells new solenoids for those missing them—although they aren't cheap.

The original relays can be substituted with the typical BOSCH 12V/30A black relays that you can buy at any auto pars store. And the original relays, if you are using one, do not care if you are 12V or 6V—they will work fine.

If your pull cable had failed you, NAPA sells a choke cable that will work just as well.

Once you familiarize yourselves with these Overdrive units you'll find they are simple and excellent tools to adapt your old ride to modern freeways. I've got one in my '51 Shoebox that I have completely reworked and converted to 12V. And I've got '57 model I've rebuilt and put in my '49 Chevy pick-up project. So needless to say... I'm a fan.
    The only reason these units get a bad reputation is when people try to use them when they aren't set-up right. So get the literature, de-mystify these kick-ass gifts from the Borg-Warner Gods and hit the freeways. When you set them up the way they were intended they are a breeze to use and make it a pleasure drive.

Good luck.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

dtwbcs likes this.
  14. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Which one of the mounting bolts do i hook up the wire to?

Attached Files:

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

16. There should be some marking next to each terminal, what are they. Also yes it will be an automatic o/d as long as your cable is pushed in, the toggle is on and your about 23mph.

I have no call to use mine around town, if I hit a long straight road with no stop lights (rare) then I can engage it. I like the engine braking around town so I don't use it, it is in o/d only on the freeway at higher speed without traffic..........I really use it like a 4th gear.

17. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Which bolt do I hook up to?See wire between the two?

Attached Files:

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Marking next to each terminal?Let me go check...

19. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

One has 4 &other a 6,I think

20. according to the o/d booklet #6 goes to the kickdown and #4 goes to the relay. You might run into a problem in the future or you might not. The o/d cable you have looks sort of thin, I don't like to use choke or hood cables, one time the arm stuck a little and bent the cable as I was pushing it in. I bought my cable from C&G ford, but any repo place should have it...it's a universal cable.
    [​IMG]

21. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I have that same cable you posted a pic of with "overdrive"on it.So I need to run wire to #4 terminal from the ry-4 relay...marked #3

22. Yea, #4 on solenoid to #3 on the relay.

23. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Here is a inside look:)

Attached Files:

24. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

For the 12v relay power(#1);I will use the starter(12volt power source)where the battery cable attaches;with a fusible link

25. That should work fine.

26. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

I never use the cable, I was told it locks up the "free wheel" when not in od. Also, my trans doesn't like to go into reverse with the od on. Mark

27. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Should I wait to test out the OD?Look how close the exhaust pipe is to that #4 terminal. I need to take car to muffler shop to "get that pipe"off of the bottom of the solenoid.Zero space between the two.:(

Attached Files:

28. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Don't want to cause a "short"