Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Qustion for Squirrel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butch, Jul 15, 2016.

1. butch

butch
    from Michigan

A week or so back some one was trying to install the gear on his distributor. You mentioned the dot on the gear. And that it should be lined up with the rotor. Is their a significant reason for this or is it some thing GM did for installing it on the line. Just seem a little strange. Having seen this for ever and never pay it any attention. Just got me thinking. Thanks for your input to the HAMB. butch.

2. squirrel

squirrel

It's probably done that way for a reason, GM isn't known for spending time and money on things they don't need. Ask GMCBubba, he is more expert on distributors than I am!

I think it has to do with there being an odd number of teeth on the gear, and if you put it on backwards, the distributor will be in the wrong place, so the vacuum advance won't end up where you want it, etc. But that's just a guess.

junior 1957 likes this.
  3. You are correct about the teeth and the vac canister landing in the right place. It was done to make it easier for the assembly line workers to get them the same every time, just stab it and move onto the next one.

making it easier for the mechanic after the fact is a by product of intelligent manufacturing process. The men and women who figure that out for the Corporation are called Process Engineers.

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Now that's interesting! Either I got real LUCKY (which is never the case) I have removed and reinstalled plenty of distributor gears and have never noticed a dot. The HAMB taught me something again. I'll have to pay closer attention next time around. Joe

5. You can still drop the distributer, its just that having the gear the same every time makes it duplicable.

6. butch

butch
    from Michigan

Thanks for the info.