Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

“If you are not evolving, you are always behind.”

Hello,

Evolution is not a bad word. We have all evolved from the early times of the 40s and 50s to be what we are today. So, you, too, have evolved. (despite what the current hot topic is about going back to a more peaceful, less hectic time... ) Wearing Levi’s as a daily item is still a throwback to the Levi jeans of long ago. But, the styles and material have evolved.

Going back to a staid time period, in mind only, is not only good, it helps us keep on pushing for more ideas to better our society. The technology in all things has made life for us, simpler and a learning experience all rolled into one. But, it is up to us to read and learn from our mistakes. Then, push forward to a betterment of ourselves, families and society in general.

Jnaki

No one wants to be behind in anything. One strives to do the best they can, isn’t that what our parents kept pushing on us over the teenage years, day in and day out? It must have worked. Some, still refuse the technology as too fast, too much, but that new stuff is learning in the best way. It is how we all evolve to the next level.

“IF YOU ARE NOT EVOLVING, YOU ARE ALWAYS BEHIND…” It applies to hot rods, ideas, family life, education and technology to keep us safe to fight a pandemic on another day.

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Duct tape will silence stupid...

3. As a wise man once said, Surely you can’t be serious.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

And another said “Don’t call me Shirley!”

5. jnaki

jnaki

“The only things we take with us are the memories of the good times we had and the good people we knew along the way.”

Hello,

The truth to the facts are that we do what we do/learn in our own individual lives has a great effect on how one looks at life and relationships. The above quote rings true for most of us and holds a lot of value. Our close friends helped shape our thoughts and actions throughout our lives.

The teenage years were a big block wall, only to have good friends help out along the way. It was one of those things that just happened as teenagers. We all seemed to bond together and helped in any way we could. That made the road to graduation in these important years go by, but not too fast.

A lot of my close friends are still around, although monthly contact has waned somewhat. Those that are now gone, they last in our memories and photos. So, that is still a good thing. If the pandemic were not around, perhaps a monthly gathering like we used to, would help all of those involved. Not everyone wants to remember those times, but for most of us, it led to the next step after high school. That part really shaped our lives and memories.

Jnaki

I, for one, will remember those teenage years and the best memories come from the 20 something years, as a whirlwind romance, courtship and finally making it legal. Those are the memories that are the clearest and there are tons of photos to spark anything that could be missing from the old noggin.

To quote memories from others: “You guys were always a team…” YRMV

upload_2021-3-19_4-10-55.png

6. wsdad

wsdad

The early worm gets the bird.

Safety may not always be first but it's almost always in our top 10.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  7. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. You can't fix stupid, not evcn with zip ties, baling twine or duct tape.

Cheers,
    Harv

8. Rodsports

Rodsports

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley! - love it

9. TCTND

TCTND

"Never trust a blonde who wears black underwear."

10. Speaking from experience are we?

Boneyard51 and Deuced Up! like this.
  11. grumpy65

grumpy65

• “ You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

When you get close to 60, start making younger friends, because your older friends will start dying, & if you haven't started gathering more of the younger crowd, you WILL BE ALL ALONE!! I get so tired of attending funerals & not recognizing the crowd because my old close friends are GONE!!

13. set me on fire

set me on fire

"you've got to graduate from an a##hole before you're an adult"
    dad RIP

6-bangertim and Thor1 like this.
  14. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

This from my first flight instructor
    "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there aren't many old and bold pilots"
    Good words of advice

61Cruiser and Thor1 like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Really! You didn’t have to say that! But it’s the truth....... but I don’t like to hear it, nor like it!

Bones

chryslerfan55, coneman and Thor1 like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

“In certain times in one’s life, the ebb and flow of the tidal stream and the setting sun are not insignificant events.”

Hello,

With all of the past year’s worldwide pandemic affecting all of us, one needs to step back and see what is important in our own lives. Society moves on with us or without us. We have been taught to go with the flow and to meld into society, so we can become a part of the greater group. The pandemic hit everyone with a new way to live and get along, so it has taken its toll on us.

Sometimes we need to step back and see what is important and try to make a difference in our families lives and our own lives.

Jnaki

The little thing we take for granted should not be overlooked and be given just as much thought as other things.

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My old building services lecturer: "There are stupid plumbers. There aren't any stupid electricians. All the stupid electricians are dead."

Ace61, lothiandon1940, Lepus and 5 others like this.
  18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in helicopter flight school an IP told me that were four worthless things in aviation:
    1. The altitude above you
    2. The runway behind you
    3. The airspeed you don't have.
    4. The fuel that is still in the truck

19. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

51rb7bCIx8L._AC_SY450_.jpg
    A very good Einstein quote....

20. As Gene Winfield likes to say, Every day is a school day.

21. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

One of my favorites: Like a hog looking at a wristwatch.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. My Grandad was an Industrial Arts teacher in the 50’s and 60’s before he got into administration. He had a student say to him, “ I cut it three times Mr. Eddings and it’s still too short”. When Grandad told my brother and I that, we laughed so hard. My love of Fords came from Grandad, I think it’s hereditary. I miss Grandad every day!

23. jnaki

jnaki

“I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think. “

Hello,

Having friends is a wonderful thing. They help out in any way they possibly can and the reverse is also true. Over the years, friends come and go and when our family was on the move to different communities, good, old friends stayed in touch, while some friends we will never see again. So, choose wisely.

In the back of everyone’s mind, looking across the table at your friend is a point for memories and descriptive methods of evaluating how he/she got into your life in the first place. Once that is figured out, then as more objects pop up during the friendships, it is how you both work on them as to the longevity of the relationship. Some work, while others will fall apart. It is just the nature of things and can’t be helped then or now.

Jnaki

So choose wisely and nurture what you think is a good choice. My close friend from my last two years of college has become the longest lasting friend in our relationship from the early days. 50 plus years is a good friend….YRMV

It is also nice to see the others that are still within 30 minutes to 1 hour drive away. With this pandemic, and the looming increase in cases, it won't be for quite some time when we can all gather again, like we used to do in those later years.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    chryslerfan55, 41 GMC K-18 and Thor1 like this.
  24. Tnee27

Tnee27

My father: treat your friends like flour, sift very carefully to remove all the weevils.

lothiandon1940, X-cpe and Thor1 like this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My experiences may differ from others, but all my friends have resulted from something common between us. My very oldest friend, that I haven’t seen in sixty years, but have maintained some contact was a neighborhood friend. My oldest friend that I still have a lot of contact , Mike, I met in October of 1957 in the first grade and went to 16 years of school with him. We still talk and meet for dinner at least once a ,month.
    Over the years I have had many many friends, some come and go, some come and stay. But all of my friends resulted in something we had in common , early on it was geography, mostly, later it was a common interest. Cars, bikes, racing, machines, bars are were all of my friends have came from. But remember the last half of “ friends” is “ ends” . That , at some point, will be the result of all but a few cherished friendships.

Bones

26. jnaki

jnaki

"Who looks outside, dreams; Who looks inside, awakes." Carl Jung

Hello,

Our history is what set the timetable for all of us growing up. We all experienced things as normally as we could. But, there were bumps on all of our roads. Some more so than others.

We all learned from others in building our own hot rods and customs. Our history just happened to involve some of the early pioneers in drag racing. Due to the fact that we happened to live in what we once called “drag race central.” The Lion’s Dragstrip was within a mile or so, the cool hot rod and speed shops were less than a mile away and the established car builders and manufacturers of speed parts were all within a short drive.

Jnaki

So, we did a little of both. We looked outside and found some tracks to our dreams… then as inquisitive teens, looked inside for the necessary buried talents to get the job done. Whatever the track, everyone’s history is what made us what we are today. Of course, we all changed to fit the needs of our families and had to make certain decisions to have the future set in a most pleasurable direction. YRMV

27. "If you don't have anything good to say about somebody, sit next to me." Dolly Parton

28. jnaki

jnaki

“We can only try to make the best of whatever role we are able to play within the situation.
    The rest we must come to terms with while playing our part of the world.”

Hello,

For a long time, wanting to be something was a major part of the teenage existence. Did I make a mistake, will I get the right answer, how am I going to be a part of that? So, on and there are other sayings that fit right along with the teenage trials and tribulations. But, our history just did what we did without much planning. Things just came along at the right time and we got involved.
    upload_2021-4-16_5-24-47.png

Baba O’ Reilly

Out here in the fields
    I fight for my meals
    I get my back into my living

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    It's only teenage wasteland

Sally, take my hand
    We'll travel south 'cross land
    Put out the fire and don't look past my shoulder

The exodus is here
    The happy ones are near
    Let's get together before we get much older

Teenage wasteland
    It's only teenage wasteland
    Teenage wasteland, oh, yeah
    Teenage wasteland
    They're all wasted

As our history continued to play with what we were dealt, it just seemed right, at the time. We thought we were changing our future, but maybe it was the plan all along. Someone, big time, was just moving the chess pieces where they were supposed to fall and we were the measly pawns.

Jnaki

That is a different way to look at our history as participants of our crazy world. We dealt with plenty of society’s ills and downfalls growing up, but in the long run, we managed to survive.

What is important? That is your choice, not someone else’s or from an oddball group mentality that pops up in our society, pandemic or not.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-23_4-37-9.png “NEVER TRUST A DOG TO WATCH YOUR LUNCH.”

Hello,

Our granddaughter came up with this great quote. She had invented a thing called “Fortune Pops.” It was her take on a Fortune Cookie found at many restaurants. But, hers were “Tootsie Pops” with printed slogans taped to the outside stick, some with photos and some without. It was her idea to participate in our garage sales. When we used to have our neighborhood garage sales, she had a table that sold Lemonade on hot days and hot chocolate on cold days. But, always beside those drinks, were her favorite, “Fortune Pops.”

Imagine the surprise of buying a “Fortune Pop" sticking out of a solid color container with only white sticks showing up in the air. The surprises were the quotes and slogans on each one. By the end of the 6 am to 9 am time period, she had sold out and made another batch, selling until closing. Then her reward was to take the money home to her folks or go to the mall/local candy store for her bag of goodies.

Jnaki

The neighborhood garage sales always had car stuff and name brand tools. Those were the first to sell out. Then came the “Fortune Pops” as the people wandered around looking for treasures. How could you pass up a cute little toddler sitting at her own table in the front, selling her own creations? It was a great sales ploy and she had plenty of spending money later the next day.

She came up with that quote, after the little 9 lb furry dog started nibbling on whatever was around during our lunch breaks, especially our sandwiches.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  30. jnaki

jnaki

“Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are
    moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it,
    but sail we must, and not drift or lie at anchor.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hello,

All through our lives, we have been on a track given to us by our parents. However, much rebellion was going on, if it weren’t for our parents, then we wouldn’t be around. It took a long time, but to do what we have been doing, growing up and becoming what we are/were was a hard road. It usually is for most and we are stronger because of those trials and tribulations when we came across a fast flowing stream of “stuff” headed our way.

The sailing parody is good as one does not always sail with the wind. The 60s protests showed the way for this part of the slogan. But, for the rest of the time, hot rods or not, our lives just moved on… “but sail, we must and not drift or lie at anchor…”

Jnaki

So, for all of you out there, the pandemic has hit home hard and we are all going along with the stuff that comes with “us against it” theme. In 1968, the flu pandemic was not as serious, but it did hit a lot of people world wide and the USA. We just all lived through the difficulties that arose and became a little stronger. So, stay safe, roll with the punches and “Get Along With Others…” another famous quote drilled into all of us from the beginning of time.