Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quote issuses?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Robert J. Palmer, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Anyone else having issues with the quotes?

When I quote then make a statement it all show up as a quote.

It seems to be random.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  2. ............................So far, not here.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  3. test

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  4. No sir. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I just select the text from your post then selected +Quote an in my reply box and it did as you see...

So you have to click hold and drag till you have what in the post you want to quote then select +Quote

Hope this helps...

6. This is what I did. I have issue about three times. I ended up deleting the post.

7. Here is an example-

My post-
    upload_2018-11-10_14-37-41.png

I was quoted by @alanp561
    upload_2018-11-10_14-38-25.png

He made a statement (high lighted in red) which showed up in the quote box.
    upload_2018-11-10_14-45-35.png

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes I just quote the whole post and select and delete what I don't want.

There are definately quirks here and there but most of the time I find a way.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he did was click reply and typed his message in you're quoted text...his error not yours.

That is a problem as when you reply to his post his text won't show up because the quote he replied to gets dropped and his reply was entered in that quote.

10. I have had it happen too.
    I just wanted to see if anyone else was having the issue and let someone in charge know about it.
    If it is not a problem I am not worried.

Stogy likes this.
  11. If you accidently delete the end of his post(]Quote) or type your reply before the last word "]Quote" your message will be in the quote box. Sometimes the word "Quote" is a few lines below the post and its easy to post in front of it. This could be the problem but don't quote me on it.;)

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing that might save many of us in a bind is hit the ole Undo button which is the arrow pointing left...it can bring you right back to where you started...

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do delete that end quote with the squared brackets you can just re add it and the quote will be restored...it is to be noted this stuff has learning curves and I'm still learning too...:D

alanp561, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Quote thing...sometimes you have a quote ready to use, but you didn't so it follows you around as you poke through threads and how do you get rid of it?

What to do is insert the quote into the reply box in any thread you are in as if you are going to post and select the inserted quote and delete it.

You then have got rid of the quote that's been following you around.

ClayMart and alanp561 like this.
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, my thanks to Stogy for attempting to educate me in the proper method of posting. It was not my intent to add to Mr. Robert J. Palmer's content in his post about the correct or incorrect method of attaching hairpins to an axle. I merely wished to add my observation that, done correctly, what was in the picture would work. I read Mr. Palmer's profile in which he states his formative years watching his father fabricate circle track cars eventually led him to a career in welding and fabrication. I speak from experience as a welder and fabricator whose career started 20 years before he was born building circle track cars and eventually led to my becoming a Boilermaker. Mr. Palmer is obviously more experienced in the workings of computer use than I. I struggle every day to adjust to the proper way to use these machines which seem to have taken over our lives. If I have offended him or, for that matter, anyone else by my mistake, I do apologize and hope that I don't make the same mistake again. This group of people on the HAMB are important to me, first because of the wealth of knowledge they have and second, there are a number of them who have the same sense of perspective on life as I. There is the additional bonus that there are a great many folks on here who have a great sense of humor. I don't want to endanger any status I have here so, in the future, I will refrain from quoting anyone but if the content of a post needs a reply, believe that I will do just that.

Alan Purvis

Stogy, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. ..................It's all good, Mr. Purvis. Are you related to racer, Jeff Purvis?

Stogy likes this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sir, and I'm not related to Melvin Purvis, the guy who brought John Dillinger down either. I am related to several of the Purvis clan near Purvis, MS. Most of them were hung as horse thieves.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@alanp561...I mentioned error in answering in the quoted text ...in no way are Robert or myself implying incompetence or wrong doing in your way of replying...

What I am saying is it is better to type a response to a Quote below it as it makes it easier to separate the response...and that is how I think the program is actually designed to be used and function.

Also the Quoted text depending on length is hidden and you have to click on the Quote to expand it...and the response may be lost...

Another way I see members respond is hit Reply and Post...then type a response to the Reply and Post in a second post...different but I get it...this stuff has learning curves and some may never master it but in my time here most want to overcome the hurdles bit by bit...and if I can help I do.

I'm just glad that we all get our communication out one way or the other...Apologies again for confusing you with my suggesting error...and by the way please keep on responding as you see fit it's all good...;)

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:

20. No I am not at all offended I was just using your post as a example. I am having the same issue, in intermittent fashion it did not happen after I posted this, until now.

I quote someone made a statement hit post and it all came up as a quote.
    Then when I tried to correct it show my statement as part of the quote.
    Note the missing ]At the end of the quoted statement and the [/QUOTE] At the end of my statement.

I have had this issue on my laptop, and desktop.

upload_2018-11-25_8-58-53.png upload_2018-11-25_9-3-11.png upload_2018-11-25_9-6-51.png

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have cut them in error or backspaced them out. It renders the quote inactive...but you can easily fix that by either copying and pasting that symbol or adding the applicable one with your keyboard.

I also see that you have fixed that problem already...;)

Sometimes the problem is at our end...keyboard issues, mouse issues or transfers through the www.

We do become more familiar with this stuff as we use it and there is a lot to know.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  22. I have had the problem when I just quote a post. I found hitting the enter/return button before typing solves the problem. it moves the curser out of the quote.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.