Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Quiz Question: First to 200 mph?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Quiz Question: First to 200 mph?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those air vent kept the car from spinning. Over 185 Studies and most other cars with a rear window part line have the same problem. At one time they were almost considered mandatory. Eliminated now for the most part because of allowable rear spoilers and wing like devices. I love the stock appearing 53-4 Studebakers.

belair likes this.
  3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Once it's had modifications,I don't think that it is a "stock car".Shelby's cars don't count either,in my opinion.The Porsche 959 or the Ferrari F40 would be my picks.

4. Stock body, not stock car

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

There were other modifications,as evidenced in the original post.Stock is just that,stock.

6. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Modifying the body to relieve the air pressure from the bottom of the rear window is a modification to the body. That should eliminate it from being the first stock body car to go 200. The gain in speed is from the modification to the car to control the lifting in the back from the air packing up behind the rear window. This modification helped traction and thus the gain in speed.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Waiting for Dean Lowe to check-in on this one...
    He took a wild ride in a same era Stude.

8. Jack Chizenhall used the same procedure on his black stude coupe. He went 241 with the A/C on! He showed me and my brother the trick on the stude when he brought it on Americruise. My brother used it [used hole saw to make 3" holes at the base of the back glass] on his Morris but didn't incorporate the ducting. Scotty's Morris would spin at 140 every time! scottysmorisB'ville.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  9. The sanctioning bodies determine what modifications can be made and still remain a stock body. If you want to be excessively pedantic, then a different paint job or an air freshener hanging from the mirror is a modification. It's racing, not Pebble Beach. Aren't NASCAR racers "stock cars"?

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Interesting post Jive-Bomber, I always had a soft spot for the aero-bodied Studes.

When I saw the title, I was hoping this would be about the Sunbeam 1000HP. The first car to break 200 mph, at Daytona Beach in 1927.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Here's a few of my pics of Jack Chisenhall's "COOL 200" 1953 Studebaker debut at the September 1995 USFRA World Of Speed event (where it ran 219.585 MPH):

COOL 200 Stude @ '95 WoS (1).jpg
    COOL 200 Stude @ '95 WoS (2).jpg
    COOL 200 Stude @ '95 WoS (3).jpg
    NOTE: Jack never set any Bonneville class records in his Stude, but did attain his goal of being the first car to run over 200MPH at Bonneville with the A/C blasting (Jack owns Vintage Air).

12. Since @Jive-Bomber Jay answered his own question, I'll ask a similar (and some would say more relevant) question:

What was the first stock body production car to actually set a (two-way average) record over 200 mph at Bonneville?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. belair

belair

Neat car, a 454 Hemi-wow.

14. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

First stock belly tank body at 203 in 52.
    scottys-muffler-service-tanker.jpg
    with Buick V-6, 200mph in 79, first V-6 over 200. belly tank-79.jpg

15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Here you go: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=11950

kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  16. Yep ... a bored & stroked 1957 Chrysler (392ci) HEMI :D

kidcampbell71 and belair like this.
  17. How about a Flathead from Connecticut breaking 200 mph. Well Ronnie Roadster (Ron San Giovanni) and his son Ron JR. just did it this year in this homebuilt car. Ron SR. 216.131 and Ron Jr. 225.03 at Bonneville.
    IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1592.JPG

18. 1970 - 200.096 miles an hour! Buddy Baker had done it! He was the first man to break the 200 mile an hour mark on a closed race track. It is a record that will stand forever, (until Bill Elliot broke it)

19. Ron Hall, 1963 Stock bodied Avanti ran 200.426 MPH on a one way pass at Bonneville in 1994 with a 304 Studebaker engine

stillrunners likes this.
  20. WARREN JOHNSON BREAKS 200mph PRO STOCK BARRIER!

WJ Sets NHRA National Records at 6.894/200.13 mph in Pennzoil Nationals Qualifying

Dinwiddie, Va.; April 25, 1997

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hmmmmmmmmmm.Looks like this is going to be an interesting thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. saltracer219

saltracer219

The vents below the back window were considered a safety modification to relieve the air pressure from under the rear of the body. The rear in those cars wants to lift up off the ground at anything much over 160 mph. Somewhere there is an old sideview picture of the late Burk LeSage at about 160 with daylight under both rear tires. Even with those vents and added ballast the rear wants to get real loose at speeds over 180 mph. I have danced my way down the course many times.

23. saltracer219

saltracer219

Ron was a real good friend of ours, he was an engineer with Gabrial Shocks. He helped us engineer the the front and rear shocks on 219. What a great guy he was, we were there for his historic pass in 1994. That was the icing on the cake for him, it finished his bucket list before he passed. God Speed Ron.

24. Bobby Isaac went kinda fast on the salt, I believe.....but too new for here

stillrunners likes this.
  25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had occasion to 'greet' the old Belmont/Sanchez/Cagle/Geisler et al Stude Coupe when pal Adam 'Jud' Smith took me on a So-Cal visit...spent the night at Mickey Thompson's house, visited Parnelli, and stopped by Temple McFlathead's house...
    The Stude was sitting in repose in Temple's front yard. What stories it could tell... Always liked the 'fairing' of the headlights when they shaved them off. This was one 'slippery Stude'!
    Had to be in 1970, looked like it had taken its last ride.
    But since then, it was taken and re-engined, there was a short article on it. Can't remember who was involved.
    I would love to read its history, who were involved in which year, engine(s) used (there were a FEW of 'em!)

Last I heard was from a guy in Long Beach, we were talking on the phone. He said the famous Stude was across the street, being put into a container, bound for an 'offshore voyage'. That had to be 2008(?) not sure...

26. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Well? Who? When? Wechile? :)

27. I beleive it was the (blown Chrysler HEMI powered) 1953 Studebaker owned/driven by John Simonson of Grand Forks, North Dakota:

John Simonson Studebaker (from Oct 61 R&C cover).jpg
    from the cover of the October 1961 issue of ROD&Custom magazine

John Simonson Studebaker (1962).jpg
    circa 1962 photo

John Simonson Studebaker (from pg49 of the Dec 1962 HRM).jpg
    from page 49 of the December 1962 issue of HOT ROD Magazine

John Simonson 200 MPH Club Studebaker (2010).jpg
    circa 2010 photo (by @John Simonson)​

At the 14th Annual Bonneville National Speed Trials in 1962, Simonson bumped up the AA/Coupe record with a (two-way average) of 208.394 MPH ... garnering him entry into the prestigious 200 MPH Club!

NOTE: The only modification to the body was a set of pointed "dagmars" (where the headlights used to be), the taillights were removed, and the rear body was open to act as a vent for wind pressure.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. This can happen even with rear vents. Note the ducts in the trunk. Fastest this Stude went was 165. We didn't bother with the vents on the second Stude, and it wound up running over 200. The price for that ride in 1962 is going up every year. :(
    [​IMG]

29. Until Brian Leggett runs 300 in "The Beast", Neil Thompsons Stude is the world's fastest with a one way of 290. They don't come any nastier than this one.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, HEMI32 and Greezeball like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes look at the aero on that Stude, bet the air didn't even know what hit it!

Just Gary and stillrunners like this.