Register now to get rid of these ads!

quietest angle grinder???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Sep 20, 2010.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I have a old makita grinder that my dad has had since the 80's. It works great but its almost noisyer than the actual grinding noise.

Whats a good quiet grinder out there??

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Well, that's kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? I don't know how the noise level compares, but I've been really happy with the performance of my milwaukees.

3. silversink

silversink

Mine --havn't picked it up in a year

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

hahaha!

5. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Take the top cover off where the grinder disk attaches to the "pinion gear" and put some good bearing grease in there and that sometimes makes them run smoother.

I do this to all my grinders when they come out of the package!

6. roddinron

roddinron

Use ear protection, no matter what power tools you use. I have tinnitus, a constant ringing in my ears. It has had a terrible affect on my life. People get tired of repeating themselves, I can't understand what people say, especially if there is any background noise, so I rarely go out anymore, and at night in bed or in a quiet room, the ringing damned near drives me nuts sometimes. Wear ear protection.

7. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

I have a big old Souix 9" grinder with a wooden handle, no plastic on it. Old owner said "it's to heavy I like my little 4". He gave it to me in exchange for a little welding work. It is old, heavy, scratched all to hell and smooth as glass. I think they can throw that one in the box with me when I leave. Gene

8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I know it sounds stupid but i would like to keep the noise down for everyone.

Any recommendations for just a good grinder?

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I still use and like my old Makita. I think they're all pretty similar, noise wise.

10. brewsir

brewsir

Matabo ...I got mine from fastenal a couple of years ago....great torque and very smooth.

11. nutajunka

nutajunka

Like he said, I have the same kind and put some luber-plate in it after cleaning out the old stuff and it run's smoother and has alot less noise.

12. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Ahh, I do remember a friend of mine got a Matabo brand grinder from the welding supply and it is supposed to be really bad ass.

13. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Good call! Im sure those things could have better greese in them.