Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quiet Car!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by potter142, Nov 27, 2011.

1. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

I'm at the point where I need to coat the inside of my "35" Ford slant back with sound deadening stuff. I know many guys use Dynamat but the price is high compared to other matts and there seem to be lots of others. What do you use and hows it working out for you?

2. agutto13

agutto13

earplugs, lol!

3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

A gallon Of undercoating. Get the kind that thoroughly dries. Add some carpet backing under the carpet if it has it. Cheap and works

4. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

_Peel and Seal. Available at Lowe's in the roofing dept

6. Why stop at noise suppression ,when you can have sound and a temperature barrier at the same time?
    This works....Take 3/4" beadboard[blueboard type],cut in 4" wide strips with a boxknife.
    That allows it to conform to curvtaure of inner panels...glue it to the body with Liquid Nails.
    Then if you can afford a little extra finish it with a layer of Bubble pack foil sheet.....
    AMAZING results are to be had and at a fair cost.

7. storm king

storm king

FatMat, eBay, much less than paying for Scotty's next new Moal ride!

8. Dragon Wagons

Dragon Wagons
    from SLC, Utah

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  9. There is another thread on this, and I liked the potential of FatMat as I would need alot of it to do my interior. I don't see my rolling any kinda stuff in my interior.

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

ALL of those foil-faced, butyl patches are pretty much the same. There's only 2 places that make it for everybody, so Shop on price. "Wallpaper" the entire firewall with the stuff for a noise barrier & heat barrier. Tape the seams too.

Remember to fill ANY hole in your Firewall first. Holes = NOISE paths.

You might also look @ Lizard Skin, a spray on insulation kit. It goes on the inside of the car. It's expensive, but I think 2 rod builds can share 1 kit. I'm trying it on a GTO build we're doing. So far I like it.

The OEMs only use those butyl patches in the center of each floor pan, door, or outer panel to stop any sharp "pings" from stone impingement. Undercoating on the outside of the floorpans will work wonders for noise & be cheaper than the mats.

Don't forget to undercoat the hell out of your wheel wells. That's where most of the stones & rocks get to make noise.

Quiet down your doors by using a thick mylar Water Deflector on the Door Inners & Rr Quarter Panels like the factory does. Glue it down well & leave no holes! Holes = noise paths.

Don't forget to insulate the roof. Makes the AC work better too.

Carpet insulation too.

just my $0.02

11. Hank Turd

Hank Turd

Just my opinion, DON'T use the foil-sided bubble wrap stuff on the floor. Your heels will pop the bubbles and you will have a lumpy floor and it will not insulate as well without the air barrier.

12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

same hear!(here) you can put it on as thick as you want! layer after layer as you can afford it. stop laughing.

13. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I have installed dynamat on a lot of cars as it was a service my old work offered, it is expensive but it really did make a difference in the cars to both noise and heat transference, I know it is dear but it really works well. Underlay under the carpets also helps a lot. I would Start with the fire wall and continue as money allows.