Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quickchange Hubs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Soviet, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Soviet

Soviet

I just picked up two lonely wide five hubs on the 'bay that I think will look stellar with the right combination of parts. They were made by Avion, and are casting numbers 51020. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any information on the company, or any pictures of cars running them. Do any of you older guys remember seeing these running around? Better yet, does anyone have pictures of a car with these on it? Apparently, they are close cousins to the Frankland and Winters style hubs, and use the finned drums, which I am also currently looking for. Sorry about the advert picture, but it's all I've got until the mailman brings it to my door, hopefully in one unhurt piece.

Russian

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. racemad55

racemad55

I bought a pair at the local swap last fall, what year about were they made ?

3. Soviet

Soviet

Honestly, I have no idea, and was hoping to find that out myself. Did you get just a pair of bare hubs as well?

4. racemad55

racemad55

bare hubs,one was n.o.s.,thought they looked neat, those your safety racing wheels on evilbay?

5. Soviet

Soviet

Nope, those belong to the seller that I got one of the hubs from. Cool stuff for sure, but way beyond my price range.

6. Soviet

Soviet

Bump for the night crew.

7. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

these look like the early hubs that you can fit the drums to. when you flip them over there is no place to mount a rotor is there? i`d like to find some like you have but need to mount the way smaller ford brake drums instead of the buick stuff. there should be loads of buick stuff around......saw 4 hubs ,buick drums,back plates,bearings and seals for 100 each....just this week

8. WAG,,,,,,,Avion wouldn't be the travel trailer people, would it ??

9. there is a lot of winters and frankland stuff around and the newer ones have disc brakes, the bearings and seals 3/4 ton ford you can get bolt on and weld on spindles or whole tubes with spindles in steel or aluminum for the rear and for the front you can get screw on spindles that go over the stock car spindle or you can get one piece spindles and all kinds of wheels width, offset,with or without beadlocks, in steel painted or chromed or aluminum,

10. Soviet

Soviet

I'm going to be running these on the rear, not quite sure what I want to do with the fronts yet, but I don't think that the 3/4 tons will look right with what I intend to do. I'm pretty sure that the spindles were only used up front because racing was more of a contact sport, and the heavy stuff held up better. I don't intend to contact with anything.

The backside mounts the big finned buick style drum that Frankland made. Might I ask where you saw the ones that you speak of? Also, do you have a picture of the Ford style that you mentioned?
    Here's a picture of the backside.
    [​IMG]

That's about all of the info that I can find with Google... cool lookin aluminum trailers.

11. Avion is a competitor to Airstream. With such an odd name I would bet it is from the trailor folks.

12. they are full floating hubs and the part they ride on is called a spindle the drums were buick with the center cut out and drilled for the wide five bolt pattern a lot of DIRT modifies in the north-east

13. Soviet

Soviet

Some may have been Buick, but I know that Frankland cast the drums, as I've seen a few pairs go up for sale. JFast also confirmed their existence.

14. Soviet

Soviet

Hot damn the front page is moving fast lately...

15. did you contact Frankland or Winters or you can try Troyer they have been around for a while

16. racemad55

racemad55

Frankland I was told did use buicks, when the supply was depleted they started to cast their own before discs came on the scene.

17. Soviet

Soviet

Interesting tid bit!

I haven't found any support from the original manufacturers as of yet...

18. MRE (Midwest Racing Ent) advertised those in Stock Car Racing
    magazine, in the early '80s. Since yours are for drums, they are
    probably mid 70s or earlier.

With the right wheels, they will look killer

Saw some Wide 5 Frankland drums on Evilbay yesterday.

19. We ran rear drums on a pavement late model in '77, most of the local
    Howe cars were already running discs; but they had the big solid HRE hubs.

Don't remember seeing MRE hubs on pavement cars around here,
    they might have been more popular with dirt cars.

I was looking for MRE a couple months ago, no sign of them.

20. Yes, I think they were cast iron.

21. Soviet

Soviet

Just my luck, those are the drums that I need.
    Oh well, I like the look of my hubs much more - they'll go perfect on a set of original centers on wider hoops and piecrust cheater slicks.

22. You might be able to find some late model truck drums
    that are big enough, and flat enough on the front.

Machine the hole bigger, drill for the studs.

23. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Is this what you are looking for? The single is the racecar after market drum, this one is to worn to use. The other 3 are buicks that have been turned to fit wide 5 hubs. They are used drums so i figure $25 ea plus shipping they're yours.

Attached Files:

24. I have a pal using this setup on a roadster, I need to go see him anyway. I will see what he has for spares.