Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick valve train question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Avg.Joe, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

I am assembling my 327 top end. The valve train is all Clay smith stuff. I have allways used hydraulic lifters. This is my first solid set up. My question is do the lifters look the same because I would swear they look just like Hyd. The box is labeled Chevrolet solid but they rattle a little when I shake them and they have a snap ring also??? I just tried to push the plunger in and it won't go in. What do you think? Thanks

2. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Do solid lifters have any pieces or they totally solid? Hud

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Solid lifters are just like the name implies. They form a solid conection between the cam and the pushrod. Whereas a hydraulic has a piston that the pushrod seats into and is held at it's full extension by hydraulic pressure. This allows a cushion for the pushrod and allows it to run at zero lash or with a small amount of preload. The solid lifter requires some clearance (valve lash) while the engine is running so the valve will return to it's seat and seal .

Frank

4. FWilliams

FWilliams

solid lifters are not exactly solid......they need to allow oil to pass thru them as well as up the pushrod.... they usually have a c clip to hold the pushrod cup in......the hydraulics unless a high end anti pump up will have a wire clip....removing the clip allows you to remove the metering valve....removing the c clip on a solid allows you to remove the pushrod cup......

you can push down on the pushrod cup of a hydraulic ......you wont be able to on a solid....also notice where the oil holes are in the body of the lifter

hydraulic on the left solid on the right

[​IMG]

5. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Wow, Thanks for the photo Fred that explains it all. That makes sense, you have to still pass the oil. Thanks, Joe.