Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods quick release steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Feb 4, 2023.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i have a reproduction 40 ford wheel on a tapered, keyed shaft but i need to probably go to a 17" bell 4 spoke wheel on a quick release hub.
    does anyone make a splined piece for a quick release hub that will mate to what is it, a 3/4 tapered and keyed shaft or will i need to cut off the taper and weld on a universal spline piece for the hub? the shaft is an early ford tapered shaft. is that 3/4 inch, i'm at work right now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Early Ford shafts are 3/4”. I went looking recently for a quick release that would adapt to the stock Ford shaft and didn’t find any. I did see a quick release that was made for a 5/8” shaft that could probably be machined to fit the tapered 3/4”. Sorry I don’t remember what brand. I was just clicking around on Jegs and Summit. I’m a few months (years) away from needing the part.

silent rick likes this.
  3. silent rick

silent rick

ididit has a 5/8 adapter with key and nut for a schroeder shaft, not sure if it was tapered.

4. alchemy

alchemy

If you buy one let us know what the dimensions are.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Ididit bought Schroeder and back many years ago when I built a 32 roadster with Schroeder steering they (Schroeder) sold me a quick release hub that fit their tapered and keyed steering shaft for my Bell wheel. Ididit may have ended up with these parts? Also check Speedway at one time they had the same part.

silent rick likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Just for fun I googled Schroeder Steering.com and believe it on not I found their old website. Down a ways on their site they show steering wheels and hubs. There is a picture of their Quick Release steering hub that is held on by a pin Part number 2000 Pin Lock. That's what I had on my roadster and it worked great. It's mostly about torsion bars. I don't think they are doing business of any kind any more. Fun site to look at.

silent rick likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I liked the pin lock hub because it was a little more old timey looking.

silent rick and Just Gary like this.
  9. Gofannon

Gofannon

silent rick likes this.
  10. silent rick

silent rick

I saw that one but I believed it was for a 5/8" shaft. I see that one says .750" at bottom of taper. It does say it's for the squeeze type connector, rather have pin style like Gary says.. Thanks

Gofannon likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

My stock car racing buddy likes the pull lip kind of releases better than the pin kind because they aren't as loose. Not sure if a certain brand might make a difference if you really want the pin kind, and he doesn't have any loose brands to name.

silent rick likes this.