Register now to get rid of these ads!

quick painting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrbuck, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

as long as you regulate it, put in an air drier and you should be good id say

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

You could paint a battleship!

4. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

These things dont have an accumulator (tank) on them and are very dirty. We have used them with a 100 gal tank for running air screwdrivers (worked kinda) and it might work for a not-so-perfect paint job. Not a Kaeser by any means. Try it to see how much oil it spits (and water).

5. 12 GRAND for a compressor????

For that price you could have 3 driver cars painted and not even get dirty...

6. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

Major overkill. But as long as you can adjust the pressure down and have good filters to trap oil and water,I don't see why you couldn't paint a car with it.

7. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

8. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

help me choose which to use.
    A[​IMG]

B[​IMG]

C[​IMG]

Id be useing it to shoot single stage matte black on a 58 chevy biscayne with a hvlp gun

9. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

im confused. are you asking which one to go buy or which one, of the three you already have, would be best for painting?

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I painted my Nomad back in the early 80s with a old craftsman compressor (see photo). I used lacquer paint and painted the Nomad the O.G turquoise and white in the drive way with no inline filter and it came out great.

Attached Files:

11. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Why on earth would you use a compessor to paint a car? Theres a guy on here that brush painted his model a and sanded and buffed his ever living ass off to make it smooth. I personally use a method that involves a high dollar paint gun and a vast aray of regulators and dryers and a compressor but hey,,, you could use a brush or a broom even.. more traditional just ask!

12. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

x2 on that

13. Shawns49

Shawns49
    BANNED

if you have to ask , then u Probably shouldn't be painting.

14. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

yeah we shouldn't ask question that not what this sites about.... your an idiot thanks for stopping by

to the rest of you tring to lend a little advice, i have all three at my disposal. i primed it with the 30g craftsman but it had a hard time keeping up, was running constantly. so i thought one of the others might be a better option.

15. robertsregal

robertsregal

To paint a car you need volume and CFM, what type of a paint gun HVLP or siphon feed. Give us more info, no such thing as a dumb question!

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have painted a 72 Ford pickup truck with a 2HP Campbell Housfeld compressor similar to the Sears in the last picture.

I had to keep stopping while it built up pressure, which slowed things down. But it did the job.

If you have a large tank you can connect for more reserve it will work better. Even a truck tire. Build up pressure, spray a coat, build up pressure for the next coat.

This was with my old DeVilbiss gun. The new gravity feed guns don't use as much air, you may not even need the spare tank.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could you get both B and C and connect them together? You would have enough capacity then.

A will work but is way overkill. Great for sandblasting though.

18. Fenders

Fenders

It ain't what you got that counts,
    it's what you do with what you got.

Who says you can't use the one in your garage?
    You going for a decent paint job or a show quality job?

19. A.A.Additude

A.A.Additude
    from NE Kansas

man I tell ya all the guy did was ask if that industrial compressor that he could use from work for free would work to paint and some of you make comments like "you shouldnt be painting" ?? that is why I dont post here too often..

As said above air pressure is air pressure, regulate it down and for that thing I would use a Tri filter setup because as said it could spit out some oil.. .other than that Its way better than burning up those other two compressors.. :)

20. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Ok...you've asked about compressors that cost somewhere between $300 and 12k... I'm going to go a way out on the limb and suggest that, yes, there is something in there that you can use. I've painted in a pro shop and I've backyarded things at home so I do have some experience in what I say. If you are talking backyard paintjob, the minimum I would consider would be a 3 hp 2 cyl that kicks out around 10cfm @ 80 psi. You want a minumum 10 gal tank and a good filter... otherwise you will be running a compressor steady and spitting out a lot of water in the paint. If you plan on doing this more than once, take a hard look at the bigger upright single stages. It sounds like overkill for a paint job you are trying to save money on, but you will get addicted to air tools and as long as you work alone, this will fill the bill for years to come. The cheapest isn't always the most economical. There is one thing I have never done with a Snap-On tool, and that is throw one out. Get yourself a real weapon (which can still be had for under $1400) and go to town.

21. mrbuck

mrbuck
    from nor cal

ive got free access to all of these compressors. i have a hvlp gun i plan on useing and would like a respectable job out of it its gonna be matta black so perfection is far from what im looking for. i was thinking the little crafstman hooked up to a spare 10 gallon tank for extra valume. but still have the others if there a better option . Bythe way thanks for the positive help to all that have tried.