Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quick paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Aug 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. belair

belair

Shot some enamel w/hardner and got a run (go figure). Do I need to to color sand the entire panel (small) after I sand out the run, or can I just sand and buff the affected area? Will my spot fix show? Will there be a noticable difference? It's white, btw. Thanks.

2. Shave the run...a new razor blade works well..than once it's flat sand the area with some 1500 and hit it with a wool pad and some compound

belair likes this.
  3. If it's a small panel I would colorsand the whole thing after getting the run out. Color also matters too. The darker the color the more difficult to get the scratches out.

henryj1951 and belair like this.
  4. It really depends on how well you laid the paint out on the rest of the panel. If it is smooth and glossy it won' be as noticeable if you have some orange peel on the rest of the panel the "fix" may stand out like a sore thumb from certain angles as it will be noticeably smoother and shinier.

henryj1951 and belair like this.

5. on white i bet the texture difference would not show out side, of course that depends on the car, location on the car and how well the rest of it sprayed out. if you have time let it sit so the run gets good and hard, it will "shave" better.

belair likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They aren't runs, they are "flow checks". X3 wait until it's good and hard, slice it off with a fresh razor blade.

belair and henryj1951 like this.
  7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

there are MANY different TYPES of RUNS...
    some are easier to deal with...:cool:

8. Sporty45

Sporty45

Fix the run, buff the area, then see how it looks. If it stands out then do the rest of the panel. I think that's the only way you're going to know for sure.

belair likes this.
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get one of these (called a nib file or run file) and you won't see it once done.
    [​IMG]
    Most never go away completely with sanding and that looks worse than a shiny spot.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cool! Learn something new every day!

dana barlow likes this.
  11. I just googled nib file paint . Lots of information. Thanks for the lead.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. belair

belair

Yeah, I want one of those, Highlander. Thanks. So really, it was more of a drip than a run. It is only on the grille surround of my 58 Apache, on the bottom (dripped from above, cause I wasn't patient). I carefully wet sanded with a block and some 400, 600, etc., until it was much less noticeable. You're right, Highlander, I was never going to get rid of it completely, and could see I was on the way to a bigger mess. Wasn't in a bad spot, but I still want to learn about fixing paint mistakes, since I seem to be able to discover all of them. Thanks guys.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Me too, good info! Another tool I didn't know I needed...:D

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are making me smile. I'm really glad it was helpful, that means a lot. Odds are your favorite tool truck or pro paint supplier carries em. ;)

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA