Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quick Model A fender removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Nov 22, 2018.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My mentors back in the mid fifties told me they would drive their Model A's to Muroc and El Mirage, pull the fenders, race, put the fenders back on and drive home. There must have been some shortcuts to remove the fenders, running boards and aprons that I don't know. It would take me a long time to accomplish all that so there must have been some tricks. Anybody know the tricks? I have a lot of personal experience in how much the man hated no fenders on hot rods in Socal in the 50's and 60's and finally just left them on my 33 coupe.

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m not sure how it was done but my uncles did the same thing. Dad said it was like watching a bird flapping its wings in the wind. I think they had most of the bolts out and that everything was flapping up and down on the way there, not sure.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I would think that replacing the running board bracket rivets with nuts & bolts would be the first thing. Set up right the fenders and running boards could come off and on as a left and right one piece package.

Bob

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  4. you would have to trim the aprons at the body mount points and remove the one bolt that holds the aprons to the frame, and do as Bob suggested making the brackets removable.

Hnstray likes this.

5. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

Then there’s the front fender brackets and headlights and bar. The splash aprons could stay on in a pinch

Hnstray likes this.
  6. F&J

F&J

reminds me of back in the 70s in a barn in central Pennsylvania, I saw 32 Ford fronts, running boards and rear fenders still bolted together at the running boards, and even the 32 side aprons at both sides of the gas tank were still attached to the rear fenders.
    50 bucks and I had to pass on them, as they would not fit in my camper, and no tools to cut the rusted bolts to make it fit in there. :(

I know there was a pic on hamb at the old lakes, with the same way of taking them off like that. Both complete sides were laying near the 32 highboy that was driven there.

The37Kid and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^ I remember that photo, just don't know how to ever find it. Bob