Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick measurement - location of motor mounts on 32 Ford frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

May I please have a measurement of where the motor mounts are located on a 32 Ford frame?

Maybe from the centerbolt of the motor mount to the center bolt of the front crossmember? That would be VERY helpful!

Thank you!

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Haha! Okay, an 8BA. I need that for a reference point. Although a Pratt & Whitney might be neat too! ;)

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The stock motormounts were in the rear lip of the front crossmember.
    Engine type is not even going to get you something usable unless you are needing the factory 32 crossmember motor mount bolt location in relationship to the spring center bolt hole.
    The factory crossmember had "pockets" for the rubber biscuits and bolts which make up the motor mounts.
    Later flatheads in cars use different mounts than the biscuit style most often used in hot rods unless you are using the 48-52 pickup pumps which use the biscuit style mounts but are higher than the 37-48 pumps.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Okay - now THAT makes more sense. I've got a very detailed frame diagram that is not labeled but shows the "pockets" you mentioned. That makes a LOT more sense now.

I was looking at pictures of a bunch of hot rods here on 32 frames where the motor mounts are all mounted as you described to be later style.

To be perfectly honest, I am trying to figure out how to shoehorn a big Hudson 6 into this frame I plan on making and think I might not have to lengthen it as much as I previously thought. I'm using the flathead ford as a reference for comparison since that is so much more common and hopefully easier to get an answer.

Thank you for educating me!

5. tinmann

tinmann

I had issues getting the height of the flathead motor mount correct in my deuce. The Tardel and Bishop book shows the mount surface pretty much even with the top of the frame rail. When I bolted my 59A engine in with '39 trans (bolted to a stock '32 K member). The passenger side cylinder head was touching the firewall. The had to drop the mounts by 1.25" to get the driveline in line.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The main difference between the '37-'48 and '48-'52 truck pumps is the pulley offset. The mount ears are in the same location and height-it's the '49-'51 Mercurys that have the ears higher (and wider) on the casting.

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I hear you. This is how I mount a late flathead in a '32 frame. 984mm back from the K-member mounting plate surface, about an inch or so below the top of the frame rails.

Ed

Attached Files:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

F-1 truck pumps. I used the 39 trans and 32 rear trans mount to position the engine front to back. The front mounts ended up about a 1/4" below the top of the frame for the bell housing to clear the bottom of the firewall. Trying to do things from measurements can be iffy. I've always used the engine when setting up mounts to check for clearances before final welding.

If you use a different trans, a measurement from someone else's frame may not be accurate enough. It is a tight fit.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the info and the photos, guys. I would like my end result to be as snug as the photo Tommy posted so there will be a minimum of overall length added to the frame.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good timely info as this week I'll be doing my driveline mounts. 59A with T-5 trans.

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Sweet! Do you mind sharing your measurements as you go? It might make a killer tech article too... just sayin. ;):rolleyes::D

12. NoLifeTilLeather

NoLifeTilLeather

anyone have this same measurement for a good old small block chevy? perhaps the measurement from the firewall to the center of the mount? Thanks in advance!

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I did mine twice. First time I set a mock-up engine in place and went with that. Then I realized it was too far forward, I hadn't allowed any room for fan belt and crank pulley.

Cut, grind, reweld. Now everything fits perfect!

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Couple of options...someone on the Barn posted very nice drawings for building replica '32 mounts, as originals have gotten astoundingly expensive. Good if you have stock crossmember.
    Front level...get dimension for stock crossmember, the little ring on upper spring mount is the bearing for hand-crank which aligns with center of crankshaft. I assume from your interest in location you must be using stock center K and Ford trans...if not you can just place engine as you wish. Use of stock rear mount makes it a good thing to have front at right level...
    If using frame tabs like the olde Hurst A-28 or fabricated equivalent to use '37-48 or truck pumps, forget dimensions...just mount trans and engine against the K member and locate the tabs from the actual holes in the pump mounts.