Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick fix for excessive blow-by?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Jan 17, 2007.

1. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Is there such a fix, engine was rebuilt, but don't think it was honed out enough?

2. Flatman

Flatman

How long has it run since the rebuild? What kind of rings were used? Did you end gap the rings in each cylinder?

Flatman

3. 50 wt. oil, but it won't fix it for long.

4. Abomination

Abomination

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

drain oil, refill with non-detergent oil and one bottle of "EOS" (engine oil supplement) from a GM dealer's parts department. drive until warmed up, at 30 mph pull trans into lowest gear and use engine compression to slow vehicle to 5 mph or so, repeat this about 20-25 times a day for the next 5-7 days, this is a last chance effort before disassembly. good luck.

6. flatford39

flatford39

How long have you run this thing??? Why do you think it wasn't honed out enough??? Is it a standard bore or an overbore??? Did you stagger the ring ends??

The situation you are in now is to put in heavy oil but that isn't going to solve the problem.

7. I just had flashbacks of being 18 years old flooring it up to about 55mph in 1st gear on a back road in my '67 Impala and then letting off the gas to listen to the engine purr as it wound back down again. With all the windows rolled down and my Hooker headers and "Thrush" "Turbo" mufflers exiting under the back seat, it sure sounded cool. It was part of my daily routine to "blow the carbon out" to keep it running tip top. I love the sound of a V8 when the compression is slowing the car down! :D

Yeah, good luck. Maybe it's just not broken in yet.

8. Flatbush

Flatbush

Tell us more about this engine. Could just be a bad PCV

9. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Heard of ol guys using bon-ami in old used up engines,the dumped it down the carb but i sure as hell wouldnt try it on a fresh rebuild,did you just cut the ridge and rering if so what was the taper of the jugs,possibly could have egg shaped tapered too much holes.

10. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

i have also herd if this used on new/rebuilt engines that where rebutil with cheep rings or not broke in right and didnt seat the rings, actualy my ford asset instructor told me that

11. S.F.

S.F.

anyone ever heard of dumping borax down the carb when its running to solve this, I heard that was the approved method by dealerships to solve blow by issues in the 55 chevy 265, is this true or is this just a myth?

12. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

It's not my motor. It's my friend's 76 scout. He put new rings in it last year. It hadn't been running right for about a year. He took it to a local garage and they got it running good. However, oil is now seaping from the top of the dipstick and making a mess.

13. Crease

Crease

Sounds like he just needs to vent the crank case.

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Tie a red shop rag around the dipstick. Quick enough fix?

15. Rand Man

Rand Man

I don't think the '55 Chevy bon-ami thing was a myth. cylinder wals can glaze over. The floor it then engine brake is an old trick that worked for me. I also would check the PCV valve.

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The Bon ami trick was for real. My grandfather owned a small Chevrolet dealership in southwestern PA in '55, and the oil burning problem on the first 265s was the result of chrome rings and an improper honing crosshatch by the factory, and yes, the "dump it down the carb and rev the piss out of it" fix was Chevy approved.