Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick Chrysler Hemi ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADReese, Mar 29, 2010.

1. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a Chrysler Hemi from a gentleman for my '26 roadster project. The block number that he gave me is WE 56-44724. I have only been able to find a WE 55 or NE 56 in the id charts. I'm thinking that he might have misread the number. Do any of you hemi gurus' have any listings for this number? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. George

George

You might want to eye ball it & make sure it's WE, doesn't show in the ref, but that happens occaisionally. There is a casting # between the pass side head & valley cover in the rear, but you have to remove the intake to see it.

3. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

WE56 should be a '56 Chrysler 331 Poly. Maybe that's why you can't find it in the ID charts.

4. 73RR

73RR

5. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Thanks for the info. I did find the WE 56 code as a poly code, but the owner is 100%sure that the engine is a hemi. It is supposed to be from a '56 Chrysler. Did they use the 331 in Hemi form in '56 or did they all change to 354's by that point. I'm really wondering if it is a 331 poly despite the owners claims. I'll do an update when I find out. Thanks Again!

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Poly head engine, not a Hemi. Pretty sure on that one although there is a chance it's a Hemi and he gave you wrong numbers.

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------------------------
    ......or someone put hemi heads on a 331 Poly block.
    Everything other than the heads and pistons are
    the same and othert thsn some slight grinfing on the
    block for pushrod clearence, everything bolts up

Mart3406
    ================================.

8. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I agree.

Its a poly block, doesn't mean that it wasn't converted to a hemi at some point. A 331 poly block is identical to a 331 hemi block. Someone could easily have put hemi heads on it at some point.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Heads and piston swap, and voila.

10. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I received some pictures of the engine in question and it is indeed a 331 poly. It was completely rebuilt in '91 and has been stored in a garage ever since. I was hoping that they misread the numbers but oh well. It seems like a waste to replace the top end of a zero mile rebuild.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. Depending on his price, the Poly is a darned cool engine. Not going to see many of them!

12. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

The poly is not my cup of tea, but would make a unique hot rod engine. He is looking for 1,500. I'm not sure if the 20 years of storage did any damage or not.

13. 73RR

73RR

Storage may or may not cause issues. If the owner was willing to let a guy peel the heads off it would be well worth the price of gaskets in order to have a look.
    $1500 is a fair sized pile of cash. Since the current owner is just sitting on it, $1g might be a good offer. I think this engine would be very useful as trading stock against a 331-354 especially if the inspection reveals fresh internals. If you want to persue a Hemi and can get the Spitfire down to a grand or so I'd talk with you about a trade...:D

14. George

George

IF it's a complete rebuild, & hothing went bad in storage, then 1500 is a great price. rebuildable '55 331 hemi cores were going for around 1200 pre recession, Polys were less, but Look up the price of parts.

15. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Considering the cost of a rebuild 1500 is really a pretty solid deal, its just not what I was in the market for. It would have been a fantastic deal if it had been a fresh hemi at that price. 73RR, I don't have time right now to go grab it just for a trade, but I am possibly interested in a motor outright if you have something for sale. PM me. This poly motor is on Seattle CL as a 1956 331 hemi if you would like to pursue it. The owner is a really nice guy.

16. 73RR

73RR

Thanks. I also took a few minutes and checked CL in various West coast cities and found five more Hemi engines, some well priced, one off in space. I sent some of the links to you.
    For anyone else looking, they are still out there!