Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick change rear spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jebbesen, Mar 3, 2019.

1. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

In this old picture, the car appears to be running the regular spring behind setup with a quick change. Most cars you see with quick changes have either a T or an A spring. Has anyone run a regular low arc spring successfully like in the pic? It ask because I would like to setup a quick change in my car but am not really able to go to a high arch spring.

qcCVR.jpg

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Can you flip the axle ends and place your spring in front like my roadster? Gary IMG_6165.jpg

3. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Hey Gary. Not really. The way my frame is built is kinda odd. Here are a couple pictures that might show what I'm dealing with.
    FB_IMG_1551644632039.jpg FB_IMG_1551644625189.jpg
    With my bucket seat in position.
    20190216_155813.jpg

4. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Obviously things are partially disassembled in that last pic but the axle is sitting in it's location.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Flip it and just extend the wheel base a little LOL. Gary

6. alchemy

alchemy

I bet the quickchange housing in your old pic has about a half inch clearance before it hits that 32 crossmember. Might not have mattered too much to the Bonneville racer, but it would be too close for a car on the street.

Crawl under your car and see how much clearance you have above the back edge of the rear axle. Like measure from the centerline of the housing up to the spring/crossmember. Then measure a quickchange housing in the same spot. There's your answer.

Pist-n-Broke and sidevalve8ba like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You might be able to cut that behemoth crossmember loose, and roll it up to gain clearance. It all depends on how close the body or floor is in that area.

Paul likes this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^ I agree, raise the xmember a couple inches at the spring mount if possible and rebuild spring to fit. That's the only way I see it happening.

9. In looking closer at what photos you have posted you may not have any problem with spring travel and clearance. With it being Closed drive and the rear bones mounted what looks like quite short and on the outside of the Frame rails, that has to limit most if not all the spring travel.

10. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Thanks guys. I will do some thinking on the cross member and see what I can dream up. @Pist-n-Broke The closed drive is being redesigned to have a slip jointed torque tube like a Sprint. The bones will be set up as trailing arms so it shouldn't bind up. I don't really want to change the wheelbase so that precludes flipping the housings.

11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

jebbesen, could you fill us in on what your building, something similar to a " special " perhaps?....

12. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN