Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick change rear education needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Jan 21, 2006.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I have never had a quickchange rear. I am thinking of putting one in my '32.
    1. How noisy are they? Do any have helical gears instead of spur gears?
    2. Reliability issues?
    3. Any small v8 halibrand style recommendations...new, old, etc.?
    4. What rear axle need to be the basis for putting one together? I'm sure my stock '32 isn't the best place to start, but could be wrong.

I might like to do one, it'd make the '32 banger a bit more roadworthy for speed. I like the looks too. If they are as noisy as a gear drive cam on a Chevy, I'm not interested. I'm totally ignorant about these setups, and need some education.

Thanks!

2. i have messed with sevearal of them, here is a halibarnd V8 for `35-`48 fard rears

1) yes, they are nosiy..most guys like it. the ones i have used seamed to have several different pitchs....one if you were accelerating , one if you were cruising and another when you backed off...very slight changes , but noticable. i love it. halibrand was offering helical cut gears at one time , but i have my doubts about them...i don't think the case and end cover are made for such side loads

2) realiability....your using an old ford rear end..that's the weak link. then you have the old ford brakes. Hot Rod Works can adapt modern axles and brakes for you

3) what ever you can get/afford/fine at a reasonable cost. there are others making copies of the V8 quickchange now..i'm sure others on here can inform you about them. if buying used , check to see ehat parts are included or missing..and what kind of condition it is in...a good deal is useless if it is all busted up and needing major repair/parts

4) i think quickchanges were made for A's and 32-34....but the halibarnd was made for `35-`48 rear ends

good luck..

3. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

try to find a rear together. i am in the middle of using a culver city v-8 center section in my 36 i like the looks of the 36 radius rods and axle tubes you cannot use the 10 spline ring and pinion or the driveshaft. i have a 40 merc rear that i am sure has the 6 spline pinion but going with that i still have to cut down the merc torque tube and driveshaft then remember if you do not have a model a spring-crossmember you will need that too mike