Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Quick Change Information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sorry to post some not to good photo's....this is what I currently have....

funny the last one I had said Franklin on the housing and Winters on the end cap....quessed a replacement cap?

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

2. Weasel

Weasel

Not a Casale - I have a housing and it looks like this....

[​IMG]

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Mopar,

I saw this on ebay too. I think it is fairly recent, the cover fins and torque tube collar look 'new' to me.

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You don't have any pictures of this do you?

5. mopar92

mopar92

Gearheads, that's what I thought! No patina!

6. designs that work

designs that work

The hisso engined car has two pages here on the HAMB, search thread Hisso 4xd. Also Rottie posted on the Hisso thread. The car was also featured 1960's Hot Rod magazine.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, a friend sent me this pic from Utah, you probably have covered it here, but what is it?

Attached Files:

• QC.jpg
      QC.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    "Cool" That's what that is!

I've not seen one like it before. From the length of the gear case, I would bet it's a two speed. That cover on the side would have been for the shifter.

The rear cover looks like a Halibrand Champ, but those are passenger car trumpets.

I have seen two speed Champs but not V8s.

Now, was this a test? Do YOU know what it is?

Bruce

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was thinking two speed as well, as you stated the V8 part had me stumped, but that doesn't take much.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Anybody else? Dennis Frings?

11. Heo2

Heo2

I have a quickchange all you can read on it is
    Muncie indiana the makers name is unreadable
    the rear cover is a halibrand.if i remember right
    its for a model A or a 32 axle
    any idea who made it

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Could you post a picture?

Floyd Davis made such a quick change in Muncie Indiana but mine and the other I've seen do not have Muncie Indiana on them.

Attached Files:

13. Heo2

Heo2

I try to remember to take a picture tomorow

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Looking at your list of QC builders.

Vince Conze was from the Denver, colorado area I think.

The last I heard of levi Jones, he was in the Atlanta,Ga area

Apologies if any of this is "old news"-type info.

15. Jamie Frankland is in Riverview Florida. He is the son of the original man Hisself!!! That area code is 813. Jamie would be happy to talk of his dad and the original Mfg. shop located in Ruskin, Fla. I knew his dad very well and for many years. They even had some of my graduates working in their shop. Tell him Joe Geisler sent you!

16. 97

Circuit Industries , Auckland New Zealand.

[​IMG]

17. 97

Yep , he makes twin plug heads and 4-71 flathead blower manifolds too.

Haydn Mitchell.

Contact 064 21 957 671
    That's in
    Auckland,
    New Zealand

18. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

97 - Is that a V-8 rear end or a midget? Can't tell looking at the picture.

Thanks

19. 97

It's in a midget....

20. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Posted this as a seperate thread, but thought this would also be an appropriate place to show the Highland rear I'm putting in my T. Was built on a Ford truck rear, so it was all riveted together, even the ring gear...am using some lighter, cleaner legs, already setup with spring hangers, as shown, and also installing a Gleason locker for street use. Forklift helped to get the legs out, all were pretty straightfoward, save for the one in the housing, took a rosebud torch, a forklift, and a 20 pound sledge...should be worth it, for the neat historical aspect of it.

Attached Files:

21. pdq67

pdq67

Please bear with me, but Ford made a hand shift next to the 4-speed (between the seats) 2-speed proto-type back in 1969 for the Mercury Eliminator

They made I think 6 or maybe 7 of them that were based off of the 12-bolt center section design, BUT designed by Ford.

I'd give my left nut for Ford's drawings of it because to me it's to this day a WINNER.

pdq67

PS., and I'm not talking about a "Hone-O-drive" or a "Gear Vender".

Info. about it is in the 1969 car mag that has the new "Hugger Orange" Z-28 on it's cover.

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I remember that...It wasn't meant to be shifted on the fly but I suppose that some one that could shift non synchro trans could do it..Ford came up with a nick name "streep"...I can't remember ever if some one claimed to have one..

23. 55willys

55willys

I don't have any pics but I am building one out of a 40s Ford 3/4 ton rear. I am also using V8 quick change gears in my front drive blower for changing speed and boost.

24. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I didn't see Allard Quick Changes on your list. They didn't mass produce them however some of thier sports cars had them.

25. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Did you find out any more about Lynn Racing QC's out of St paul MN? I am trying to figure out what years they made them and if and when they were sold to Frankland. Thanks for the great thread keep it up!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

As far as I can tell, the Lynn was made from the late 60's into the mid 70's. I built one for a guy in Wisconsin a long time ago. It was very similar to a Frankland. Wish I had taken pictures.

I have never heard that Lynn was sold to Frankland. I'll ask Jamie Frankland.

When you went overseas, did you leave the lady and bike in your avatar in MN? It's a tit bit nipply there right now!

27. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Reason I asked was because I seen this one on ebay and have never heard of them before. I couldn't tell if it was a champ style or one that takes 3/4 ton axles. I really enjoy this thread keep posting info when you get it please. I feel an itch to buy a QC now and have been reseaching them quite a bit as of late.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251235924850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

I did leave my wife and kids at home but I wouldn't post thier pics online. I'm weird like that I guess. I change my avitars every few months maybe a hotrod next time!

28. edwfitzgerald

edwfitzgerald

Interesting thread here. I'm pretty sure the sprinter Jerry Blundy drove in the 60's. The blue #33 had a Conze rear end and it was a complete 3" open tube. I think this unit was also used in the Trostle #33 driven by son Cliff Blundy, also a blue car. Jerry and Cliff both competed in the IMCA Mid-West battles.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone have information on a HEMI Quick Change? Here are some pics. A guy called me about one for pieces. I didn't have anything unique to the Hemi, but it looks like a 12 bolt, 3/4 ton unit. Rear cover looks like a Halibrand 12 bolt minus the 4 corner studs.

Anybody?

Attached Files:

30. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The 'HEMI" QC used Chev. 12 bolt ring & pinion gears & was very strong, but was considered much too heavy by most of the sprintcar crowd. Production quantities unknown. My 2cents ...drtrcrV-8