Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Quick Change Information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Mar 4, 2012.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Ted Cornis, Cornis Engineering San Bernardino, CA. Ted was a friend of mine he made Model-A, (midget) and Champ Q.C.'s. He made a bunch of the midget Q.C's and I.O.'s but not many Champs. He never made a V-8 Q.C. In the late '70's Don Edmunds offered the Cornis I.O. and Q.C. in his midgets. I am pretty sure the Indianapolis roadster that Ted built for the '59 500 had one of his Champs in it.

3. DocF

DocF

I know that the Acro TQ quick change originated with Charlie Peck. It used Crosley guts.

We also had an old TQ that had a rear end that was supposedly a King (Detroit, MI). It used a Model T ring and pinion. The side covers were similar to Acro, but the hole spacing was different. Halibrand Model A wide change gears worked in it. Since we never broke it, we never really were too concerned with what it was.

Now one of Tradin' Walt Lovett's (Grand Rapids, MI) old midgets had a quick change that had a welded on change case on a model A center section. I have no idea who made it, but it was not a home made deal as the work was way too sophisticated and it worked way too good.

Doc

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Info Added

Thanx,

Bruce

What time period would the Walt Lovett's been from? I'm thinking John Benson Sr.

6. racer5c

racer5c

Vince Conze was a very talented big car owner/ fabricator
    Higman was a car builder/ Midget owner he bought the racing division of Halibrand from Ted Halibrand, then had some kind of financial dealings with Ken Lebal who owned National, somehow Higman lost ownership to Lebal, Lebal then bought Jones rear ends From Levi Jones too. Casale made nice stuff and is still in business but don't think they make racing parts anymore, I have an old Casale Big Car steering gear.

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I believe Eddie Allen from New Jersey (I think) built quick change rears for TQ's.

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Nothing to add,but some pics of the rear end in one of my TQ midgets. Gary:)

Attached Files:

9. Weasel

Weasel

QMS is missing from the list - Quality Machine Service. I have a QMS mag champ housing somewhere. Based next to Art & Mike Chrisman's shop in Santa Ana CA.

Several quick changes were based on the pre WWII Willys differential, notable Bennet, Casale, Krech and Turco - Turco may have been a 'no change' center. These were used in midgets I believe. I also have a Casale housing in my stash.

Bill Krech of Inglewood tire produced only half a dozen quick changes - the only one I have ever seen in person was in a DO Conti powered Midget in San Diego about a decade ago....

10. sideways27

sideways27

I am not sure, but Loyd made an aluminum rearend back in the 30's but the only one I have ever seen was not a quick change. Not sure if the Loyd ever advanced to a quick change?

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

These are "garden variety" units,11 bolt Halibrand Champs, however the sideplate adapters on the one are getting hard to find around here. Just thought the photos might help the discussion here. Also I have a friend who has a complete "Parham" unit we can get some photos of. The Parhams didn't have bearings in the rear cover for deflection of the spur gear shafts, they used a "dog-bone" with bearings pressed in it, you would slide it on after installing the change gears. I will get photos of the "Bart Built" I ran in my #7 Track Roadster. Wayne Atkinson owned the only other Bart I know of, he based the ones he built off of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  12. Weasel

Weasel

Notably absent from the list are Dutchman and Winters, if I am not mistaken....

13. stevehmiel

stevehmiel

Sorry if this is a thread hijack. I have a Halibrand quickchange with the word "roadster" on it and need a bearing for the side cover for an open tube. Anybody have any ideas?

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The ones Dutchman sells are built by Winters,I furnished a pair of Ford V/8 housings and a friend of mine sent along a new Halibrand V/8 center to Dutchman, they forwarded the parts to Winters to look at, when they were engineering the unit they build for stock Ford housings.

15. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Here are a few catalogs I have saved over the years.

Attached Files:

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I will look later tonite if possible, I'm at work, have to wait for a break. I tried to search it on there but it doesn't always work.

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Two more that popped into my mind,

Ambler, Philadelphia, PA

Willison, Bill Willison, Milwaukee, WI

18. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little more info on the "Kohlstadt QC". It would actually be a Paul Kollstedt, Hamilton, Ohio. I have one in an old modified car that I picked up last week. The quickchange has a 18" closed driveshaft coming off a '32-39 toploader transmission. It has a later model Ford 6 cylinder-looks like a 300 cu. in. with three 94 carbs. Can't wait to get it fired up.

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Any idea of what it is?

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Dave,

I have a ton of questions that could be answered from these catalogs.

If you could 'scan' or 'read and answer' it would be helpful.

Want to take this off the forum?

Thanx,

Bruce

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,

Are the adaptor plates magnesium? I have only seen aluminum ones in 11 bolt.

Thanx,

Bruce

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Winters is really on the list, you just can't see it because I inadvertantly clipped it when I did the latest 'cut and paste'.

Marty is right about Dutchman.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, These adapters are aluminum, I could use more if you hear of any, they need to be 11 bolt for my application.

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,

I'm sure you already know that Winters has 11 bolt Adaptor Plates.

The originals are getting rare. I will let you know if I find any. If you find 11 bolt Magnesium ones, let me know. I have a special project.

Bruce

25. Since we are on the subject of QC brands. Anyone know what QC ran 4 spline drop in gears. Picked this pair up a couple years ago and still trying to determine what they fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. oldsplicer

oldsplicer
    from mexifornia

Gjon San francisco, appears to use ford pinion bearing with threaded coller to adjust, any comments or history ??

Attached Files:

27. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Bruce, sorry I dont know any thing about it except what you see in the pictures. It is a locked axle and uses chain and sprockets as you can see. I assume it is home made. Have a great day Gary:)

Attached Files:

28. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Bruce; Yes, anything you want to know I'll try to get the answer. I can scan the catalogs or read and answer. We don't have have to take it off the forum - what ever works for you. Dave

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Oldsplicer, If you are near So. San Francisco, contact Norm Rapp Racing Equipment. He is your best bet on history of any vintage circle track racing parts. (415) 333-8510 He will answer the phone "Zoom Zoom" Norm Rapp Racing Equipment. He is a good guy!

30. jpm49c

jpm49c