Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick Change info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Oct 7, 2009.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I am looking at buying a quick change rear for my Model A RPU. It is a Winters from a stock car. Does anyone know what it takes to make this useable on a street car? What do I do about the axels/bolt pattern? It seems like a decent price but I want to make sure that it will work. quick change1.jpg

quick change 2.jpg

quick change3.jpg

quick change 3.jpg

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It depends on if you want to use those hubs and brakes. The axle tube is 3 inch so you can adapt just about anything to it and cut the tubes to any desired length. Moser will make any axles for you.
    We adapted ours for front wheel drive with jeep parts

Attached Files:

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First question...

What engine are you running? These will handle quite a bit, but may be way overkill (if it matters).

Those "champ" quick changes are HUGE. The other things to look at is if it's a locker type rear and rather or not it has floating axle assemblies. I see these thing come up for sale quite a bit for very reasonable. Just keep in mind they are very large compared to the V8 style quick changes. I've seen them run on plenty of hot rods though. Depending on how it's setup, you may have some work ahead of you though.

I think it was "shaggy" that did a Tech thread on these recently. You might do a search under his user name.

4. selohssa

selohssa

I will be running a 400/th400 combo. It only has about 300 hp but I just want the look of the quick change, I doubt I would be changing the ratio much. I would like to run a gm or ford bolt pattern and it doesn't matter if I can't keep the discs.

$$$ wise, is it quite a bit to do the changes that I want to do?

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha! I totally understand where you're coming from. Quick changes look pretty cool, indeed.

As mentioned above, I'm guessing axle tubes and also axle shaft replacements. I could be wrong though. Have you checked out Winters website yet? They have a great on-line catalog. Maybe there are some answers there for you if you don't get the answers you're looking for here.

I think there are a lot of people wondering the same things you're asking. Hopefully these questions will be answered for you.

6. selohssa

selohssa

7. SlamIam

SlamIam

Lots of tech on these in other threads on the HAMB, do a search. Also good tech in the Winters catalogs downloadable from the Winters Performance Products website.

As far as their size, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, they look great to me. They do look smaller if you use adapter plates and stock Ford axle tubes.

I'm building one to go under my 31 with a mag center, ribbed cover and 4-rib side bells, geared posi, and tubes, axles and brakes robbed from a Ford 9-inch. I get parts very inexpensively from local racers when they sell off excess inventory at the end of the racing season.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009