Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick Change ID

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Little Terry, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Hello folks
    I wonder if anyone can help me, please? I have a quick change rear end in my sprint car and it looks like some sort of home made one. I don’t see any form of branding etc on it. I guess the gears inside are off the shelf items that fit other rear ends, but I wonder if you can tell me what they are, as I would like to get a couple more sets. Also it would be handy to find a source of cover gaskets, so that I don’t have to make one every time I swap out the gears.
    Anyway, here are some pictures...

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. sdluck

sdluck

How many splines in the gears and how wide are they.

3. sdluck

sdluck

Looks like 6 splines.Any numbers on the gears?

Deuces likes this.
  4. sdluck

sdluck

5. alchemy

alchemy

If the lower shaft and pinion are 3" C to C, then it uses the common Halibrand style gears. How wide are the gears? Probably uses V8 style, or Midget style if narrow.

Deuces and Little Terry like this.
  6. Little Terry

Little Terry

The shafts are 3” centre to centre. The gears are 1 1/4” thick - so I’m not sure which ones I need to go for. I thought they would either be 1” or 1 3/8”

any ideas?

7. You have a fabricated QC. @GearheadsQCE might be able to add some info

Deuces and Little Terry like this.
  8. Little Terry

Little Terry

Does anyone know where my 1 1/4” gears could have originated from? Any help would be great, as I would like to find some other ratios to try out.
    Thanks
    Mark

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd be very interested to find that out too! (Interesting thread, I must say...)

10. v860rich

v860rich

If your QC is teardrop shaped at the rear it could be some sort of Casale.
    Casale is still in business building boat V Drives.
    I don't remember how wide Casale gear are, but they originally built midget parts.
    THANX RICH

stillrunners, Deuces and Little Terry like this.
  11. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks - i have checked it out. The only Casale gears that i can find info on are 10 spline and 1 3/8"

Could I mill down a set of 1 3/8" gears or would they be way too hard?
    Or maybe fit a spacer behind a set of 1" midget gears?

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@ Little Terry,

Looks like the other guys pretty much covered it. I would concur that it is likely the common 6 spline used on virtually all Ford V8 based QCs. As you already know, these are currently available in 1" and 1 3/8" widths.

Is there any clearance between the cover and the gears now? I'd like to see the pinion retaining nut arrangement. Any way that they can be made narrower? Is there a spacer on the lower shaft? Can the change gears be moved forward in the case?

I have had no luck in milling any Quickchange gears as they are damn hard. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that I haven't found tooling to do it. I have cut one into a square using an abrasive chop saw. If you could fixture them up to get a reasonably straight slice and them finish up on a surface grinder, it might work. That would be and expensive set of gears!

You could also make a 1/8" spacer for the rear cover.

If none of that works, buy 1" wide gears and space them out within .020" of the cover.

13. X-cpe

X-cpe

Maybe chuck it up on a brake drum lathe and use a die grinder with a stone to get them close.

Little Terry and trikejunkie like this.
  14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

McMaster-Carr sells shaft spacers, you could get a couple .250 thick ones and then run the 1” thick gears if you’re not exceeding the HP rating of them.

Little Terry likes this.
  15. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Just looked at your pictures again. If you had a machine shop build you a spacer they also could machine an o-ring groove into it for both sides. That would allow you to maybe run the thicker gears and also solve your gasket issues. Just letting my fingers do my thinking!

Texas Webb likes this.
  16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Please send pictures & specifications of the sprintcar & motor, & more importantly, what ratio do you have inside the rearend, & where do you plan to run the car(what size track or road course?)

Little Terry likes this.
  17. Little Terry

Little Terry

Great idea, thanks!

SilverJimmy likes this.
  18. Little Terry

Little Terry

It has a 9-37 ring and pinion. The gear set I have is 22/26 teeth, so gives me
    3.48 or 4.46 according to the charts I have seen.

The plan is to race this car on the sand. I will need a push truck to get started (no battery start and an in-out box with no clutch). Track is 1/2mile long with 1/8 timed section at the end.

IMG_0948.JPG

Motor is a 270ci gmc with triple 97’s.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  19. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Sweet! You’ve got a Jimmy! Please, more pictures of the engine and what’s been done to it, and there is a thread for Inline 6’s in your Hot Rod too you could post the pictures in.

20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy