Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick Change ID and Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam M., Oct 6, 2009.

1. Hey everyone,

I came across this Halibrand quick change and I'd like to know alittle about it. The case is Marked "Halibrand ENG. Co. 201 Calif." Its been blown up and broken and welded etc. The only parts included are the ones pictured.

My questions are is there a way to date it? Also I'm not familiar with interchangeability with the parts. I have a 40 ford and 41 Merc rear diffs...would the gear sets, axles and axle tubes fit this? what would the value of something like this be? I've never looked or asked because I just figured I'd never find one!

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. 201 is the V8 type, yes your 40 bits will work with this.
    If you change your mind on wanting to use it, shoot me a pm.

No Idea on price as its pretty rough.

3. It is rough. But looks usable to say the least.

I picked this up for 2 30 packs of beer. So the prices are not like they used to be.
    [​IMG]

4. that rear cover has "Culver City" cast into it. i believe that was their original location in 1946 and they soon moved to Torrance... of course , the rear cover could have been replaced

5. All above info is correct - value is tough unless the repairs have been done well - then, just dress the welds and polish up or glassbead back to a nice cast look.

Dating is another thing entirely. Because so few cases have the city designation cast in it's hard to say when they were built. As mentioned, obviously the rear cover could be not original to this rear but, then again, it could. Once it's together and functioning you'll just be happy you have an original.

Just as an aside, I have a H101 or Model A (or midget) qc, it's the little brother to the H201 V8 and it has "Culver City" cast into the case as well as the 2-ear rear cover (another rarity) so I know it's one of the earliest ones made - kinda nice to have that knowledge.

Steve

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Remember the stock Ford R&P will work but you will need to turn down the end of the pinion to fit the rear cover bearing. Not difficult to do. Try and save what you have but if the case is too iffy, Rodsville makes a new case that is identical.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  7. Thank you very much for the info...now I just need to find out what the owner is thinking! Now that I show an interest, it will likely go "Its not for sale..."

I'll let you know how I make out.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Depends what spline pinion you have too, you want the 6 not the 8

9. N8B

N8B

Culver City = 1946 to 1963

For what its worth the add HRP posted was for a 101 rear (smaller) and had some other things listed that may not make a fair price comparison.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009