Register now to get rid of these ads!

quick cam question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRAGSTER_JOHN, Jun 25, 2011.

1. DRAGSTER_JOHN

DRAGSTER_JOHN

hey everyone, im just about to put my new engine together but i would like some opinions on my cam , the engine is a small block chevy, 350 block, bored and stroked to a 396 with 3.875 stroke 6 inch rods and 14-1 pistons, i have brodix -8 heads ported to 210cc runner with 2.10 in valves and 1.60 ex, they have 67cc chambers,full solid roller 1.5 rockers with girdles ect. and gear drive, im running a 2 3/16 hilborn mech stack injector, on m5 methanol, the cam im looking at is a herbert roller small base circle, specs are:

RPM Range: 5000-9000
    Advertised Duration: 325/340
    Duration @ .050: 290/300
    Lift: .690/.655
    Lobe Center: 110c
    Lash: .025-.025
    im looking to see if i should add the 4x7 swap, whats your takes?
    thanks, john.

Attached Files:

2. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

That's a BIG cam. Should make great top end power. Keep tabs on your rocker arm adjustment and valve spring pressure. A cam that big tends to wear out springs. What's your rear end gearing, tire diameter, RPM shift point, projected e.t.?

3. oj

oj

The injectors are your limiters, they're on the small size. I'd roll the heads some get the cc's down and then you can get some of that knot off the top of the piston. You have shaft rockers? That'd be adviseable.
    4-7 swap, on a gas motor it'd be a good idea, but on an alcohol motor not a big issue. It is one of those things that people don't understand but they feel like they're knowledgeable or will impress you if they talk about it. Do it if you want, it won't make any more horsepower but you'll have to retune your ear because the motor will sound different.

4. DRAGSTER_JOHN

DRAGSTER_JOHN

i went with it as ground, no 4x7 swap, my rear ratio is 4.56 with hoosier 12x33 and i run a powerglide, projected e.t. is 8.08 at 168mph at 8000rpm thru the lights,im at sea level. the injector is all i have, but its been flowed and prerun on another motor, will take slight pill adjustment from here, it has the flow to do it, it has been ported and gasket matched to a felpro 1207 as the heads. thanks for your replys, i didnt think the 4x7 would be helpful on alky but wanted to be sure, so with yours and the tech guy from herbert cams i just got it as ground, thanks again... john.