Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dwheels, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Dwheels

Dwheels

gentlemen...i have question that i hope i can get some help on...just picked up this 29 coupster....in tearing into it ive come across these two 1"tubes whichhave been welded to the floor but bolted to the firewall...they are in a position that really cuts out foot area...id like to cut them out but would that weaken the cowl area?the body is secure to the frameand after loosening the bolts on the firewall... there seems to be no excessive movementin the cowl area....i previously had a 28 tudor and plenty of foot area, course that had a roof.....any comments will be appricated......thanks in advance IMG_2477.JPG IMG_2478.JPG

2. jaracer

jaracer

I've got a 28 Sport Coupe and it doesn't have any braces like that. When you say "coupster" I'm guessing that the car has been made into a roadster. That would take out some of the structure, but mainly the part that goes from one B pillar to another. I don't think that would weaken the cowl area, but someone did. I guess the cut down coupe doors are quite a bit heavier than the roadster doors. That could pull down on the cowl area.

Dwheels likes this.
  3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure but I think my 28 roadster has a bit of a brace behind the kick panel. I'm not home now to check but someone with a roadster project might check. When I was a kid I had a 31 tudor and I wanted to make a tub out of it but my neighbor, who was a mechanic said open cars had bracing that wouldn't be in a closed car so I didn't do it and have never had a reason to think about whether that is correct. I was also told convertibles were heavier because they had heavier frames but I think that wasn't true with 40 Fords as I believe all 40 frames are the same for cars and light trucks.

Dwheels likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When you 'lose the roof' on a 'coupster', you DO seriously compromise the integrity of the 'A' pillar, especially noticeable when both doors are open.
    I would suggest removing them, but only long enough to see what I mean (both doors open)
    Some thinner profile rectangular tubes set 'sideways' but mounted further outboard top and bottom, with narrower 'feet' will clear the kick panels that SHOULD go back there when finished.
    Another way would be to semi-flatten the round tubes (if they are DOM or seamless) in the press, or a little at a time in the BIG vise. Just exercise some restraint, don't squeeze them flat...

Dwheels likes this.

5. Dwheels

Dwheels

I like that idea… thought that’s what should have been done…just neede a kick start… thanks!!

6. Dwheels

Dwheels

The bracing or lack of it in the b pillar area will be addressed for sure…. It’s amazing what you find when you tear into them…. Thanks!!

7. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Someone found out what they did when they cut the top off. Thet are not original., that's for sure. You may be able to make a brace using flat strap so you could hide it behind the kick panel. You could also make a 90 degree angle brace to mount in front of the cowl panel bolted to the frame ahead of the cowl. Put gussets in the bend to stiffen it up and make a sheet metal triangular panel to weld to the outside of the brace and the bolt to the cowl. Eight inches in front of the cowl and bolted to the frame should be plenty strong to hold everything in place and look like it belongs there. The square tube in the center of the floor is not original either. If it doesn't interfere with having a flat floor you could leave it.
    Concerning the frame: The Model A used the same frame for all the cars and light pickups. No extra stiffening for open cars. On some models the body mounting bolt holes were spaced a little different. The Model A was designed to be quite flexible and light weight.

8. Dwheels

Dwheels

I will be doing that soon… thanks for the insight….. as I dig I’m finding more things to fix or modify….. that’s why we do this!!

dirt t likes this.