Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions and Comments about the new layout...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Jay Ess, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Good Afternoon Ryan.
    I have some questions/comments about the new layout.
    Is there any way to tighten up the content and lose all the blank space?? I have attached a few screen shots of what I see when signed in. There seems to be as much dead space on the page (if not more?) than actual content. Maybe it is my browser, or my lack of appreciation of a more creative and artsy presentation, but quite frankly, I think that the way I am able to view the site is pretty poor. Is this intentional?
    I have tried different viewing options i.e.removing signatures, etc. in an attempt to tighten up post content, but to no avail. Is there something or an option that I am missing?

A few weeks ago I suggested re-thinking the use of the gray and light gray font colors. I have adjusted my settings to get the print as dark as it can be, but I find it is still not easy to read.

I know you are not alone in using this presentation or design process to differentiate areas of text and content, but why not just employ a different font instead? The brain will process that as a "change" vs. me, as well as others asking, what the hell does that say? :)
    I know that this is blasphemous to suggest, but have you thought about offering (as do other sites), a classic view option? BTW, I have even tried using the RSS feed to view the sight, and with some tweaks, it is OK, but not the answer.

Was this layout really unsuitable?
    I wish to continue to enjoy the HAMB and would like to re-up as an alliance member, but the present layout is not conducive to either.

I know you have received kudos on some changes to the site (including me regarding the re-org of content), but I think most are unwilling to speak up and say that "the emperor has no clothes".

BTW, If I sound unappreciative, nothing could be further from the truth! Thanks for the site, the content, your appreciation and support of traditional vehicles and their enthusiasts. I guess I am just a little sad/disappointed and possibly selfish in that I am no longer able to enjoy the site that is my first stop whenever I log on.
    All the best,
    Joe

P.S. If the event this turns out to be a browser problem or my screw up, please disregard the previous content and I will forward my membership dues via paypal asap.

2. No1rascal

No1rascal
    from NJ

While I admit I don't frequent here much I was surprised to see how much the format has changed with the new version. I have no idea why the change was made, hopefully not for the sake of "staying new", but I find it much more difficult to navigate and not at all intuitive. To sum it up in one word it ....sucks.
    Just my 2 cents.

3. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Well your response, which BTW has been the only one, is certainly more succinct than mine, but I believe it hits the nail on the head. "New and Improved" simply for the sake of being "New and Improved". Change for the sake of change. Not the first time that a change made with the best of intentions, has turned out to be a mistake. Many times it turns out that there was nothing wrong with original, and sometimes you just shouldn't mess with success. Anyone remember the New Great Taste of "New Coke" and "Coke II" ??? It was a change that was not requested by the customer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The result of the introduction of the "new and improved" formula...
    [​IMG]

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah fellas... I'm digging it. Sorry. I don't see any wholesale changes coming anytime soon. I'm in tuning mode now.

bowie likes this.