Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods questions about lead work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J&JHotrods, Aug 31, 2014.

1. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Hey all. About to attempt to lead fill the seam after replacing the inner & outer rockers on our wagon. I cut out some rocker sections at work from some sections of cars of similar thickness to practice on before tackling the real deal. We ordered eastwoods lead kit and some paddles, I plan on doing it outdoors but was curious - if the day comes where I have to do it indoors, is there a respirator mask that anyone with experience would recommend? I'm manly and all but I know breathing that stuff is no bueno.

2. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

You shouldn't be getting it hot enough to create any smoke really at all, but if you were concerned an actual paint respirator would probably do wonders, not the little paper junks

3. In the lead area of the local GM factory the guys applying the lead were in a well ventilated area. No respirator. I did air monitor on them and they were always in the safe zone. The guys grinding the lead off. They were the ones who HAD to have respirators. These guys had helmets and those were fed air. Don't breath the dust!

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Lots of misconceptions about working with lead. It is not bad to do if you use the right tools and are careful. Putting it on, is with low heat, so it's not an issue unless you're in a very confined space. Now, taking it off to achieve the correct contours...use a Vixen file! It goes fast and if careful leaves a finish that is good for a coat of a high build primer, no other sanding or filler needed. You can save and remelt the excess lead taken off if kept clean (work over a floor covered with tin foil or something) If you do, for some reason, need to run some sandpaper over the lead, THAT is when bad things happen. You create lead dust, which can be breathed in, or ingested if you eat or drink without cleaning up. So sanding or grinding lead is not really recommended for safety sake. But if you do, cover all skin, wear a dust mask, and clean up immediately after, still wearing the safety equip.

5. The dust inhalation problem also includes members of your family.....they can breath the dust from your clothes...

6. aaggie

aaggie

I learned how to work with lead body solder many years ago and it was the best and just about the only way to get perfect finished metal before paint. That said, modern body fillers applied correctly is as good and a lot easier to master. It is safer for you and the environment and a lot less expensive.

Special Ed likes this.
  7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Eastwood now has a Leadfree Filler Rod.

VR&C.

8. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Thank you all for the responses. It's always been something I wanted to take a stab at, and I want to put it back in the car since it left the factory with it which is ridiculous reason but I gotta practice on the test pieces first before I jump in. Still on the fence. Thanks again for the input fellas.