Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Questions about a 1963 Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daron Craig, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

So my dad ended up buying that black galaxie that I was asking about the trim on last year. It has a 390 in it with an edelbrock 600 cfm carb on it. If we were looking to give it some more get up and go what intake manifold would you guys recommend? Also, is 600cfm a little small? Holley 750 be better? How about headers? Who makes the best fitting headers for that car with a 390? IMG_5216.JPG IMG_5219.JPG IMG_5223.JPG IMG_5222.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

He wants to raise the suspension back up to stock and ditch the low profile tires first. Kind of like this one below IMG_5224.JPG

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Have you recurved the distributor? Cheapest horse power to be had. Headers won’t help much, with out a few other things and they mostly help at very hi rpm..

Bones

Elcohaulic and scrap metal 48 like this.
  4. The stock exhaust manifolds on a FE is really restrictive. Get a set of hedders. Some 390s came with three two's like the 406 did. The stock intake is actually pretty good. Its just really heavy. Yep a bigger carb if property jetted will help.

5. I like the raised look.

razoo lew and Atwater Mike like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Change the intake!!! Edelbrock Performer RPM, best bang for the buck, in all the tests run on that 390 in street form. 750 Holley works to best advantage.
    Also, the compression ratio can be 'upped', but that would constitute a rebore, and high comp pistons...
    BEST headers for this car is a pair of cast iron 427 'long headers', understand they're being re-popped by someone 'deep into FEs'...
    Ignition is compulsory, best is MSD. Use the Blaster coil, and the recommended ign, cables...and LEAVE it elevated! Gorgeous, that Tall Galaxie...

7. Sweet Galaxie.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like Dad is on the right track by changing wheels, etc - Edelbrock 600 carb is right for that motor (usually run Holley 4160), switching to Edelbrock intake 2105 would help a little (very heavy cast) adding a 1/2 inch or so carb spacer can help isolate heat and a add a slight improvement, not a lot of options for better exhaust manifolds - take a look at Sanderson headers FF390-SEC, make sure exhaust system has a crossover or x pipe before mufflers, switch to an electronic conversion for distributor, run 91 octane fuel, be sure to use oil high in zinc

deucemac and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. I am with Old Wolf. Just look at those exhaust manifolds. They are way too restrictive for a great engine like a 390. Some 63s with the 406 and 427 had cast iron headers. Swap out that boat anchor intake for an aluminum one.
    Beautiful car by the way. A real eye catcher. I like it like it is with the lower profile.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. Your Dad has good taste. I agree with improving the exhaust and go all the way to the rear bumper. Headers alone won't do it. Stay away from Critz. Lots of performance left on the table with those stock manifolds. I haven't found any over the counter tube headers I like so I end up building my own. With today's motor oil issues I ended up putting full Roller cam and rockers in my new project. It wasn't that much more considering the big advantage. Along with the new Cam package and exhaust I went with Tri-power just to keep with the Look and had the intake extrude honed to clean it up inside. Then my local Carb guru tweeked all 3 Carbs into shape for proper fuel delivery. Again not a big deal but all this little stuff adds up to Grate Big Grin when you can really light it up. Oh, one more thing. When you start making real H.P. with that FE you may want to think about stepping up the factory 5/16" steel fuel line to a 3/8" line. I learned that lesson the hard way. That also includes the pick up line inside the tank.
    The Wizzard

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The thing that will wake up that heavy, high geared car, is a approx 2800 stall torque converter. Won’t add any Horsepower, but will make you think you got twice as much. Stock Ford converters won’t let the engine get into the hp range quick enough.

Bones

blowby likes this.
  12. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

To say that is a beautiful car is a huge understatement! As others stated, a Performer RPM intake, and maybe some cast iron "shorty headers". There are some steel repops on epay that I have heard are ok.

13. Back in the day it was very uncommon to find a FE galaxie with a stick trans. Most had the cruseomatic and a 300 rear gear. They where doggy on takeoff. Even the 352 if you had a stick and at least 390 gears would give the 327 chevy guys a run for the money.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

This one is no slouch. My dad had me drive it while he talked to the guy and I told my dad I tried to see if it was a posi rear end. Hahahaha. It will burn the tires for a good 40 feet or so just standing on it from a dead stop. Just feels like it’s leaving some on the table. I could be wrong. I’m probably trying to compare it with my 427 in my chevelle. But yeah it is a sweet looking car. I’m not partial to fords but it’s badass!

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. You don't say how stock the motor is now... If it's basically stock and all he plans to do is cruise it, don't get carried away. Exhaust, definitely do that. The OEM cast-iron intake isn't a bad piece, just heavy; there won't be any big power gains made by swapping it out. I'm not a fan of Edelbrock carbs, I'd look at this one: ttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs/overview/ This carb has the advantage of looking very much like the OEM unit, only with all the faults engineered out.
    A 750 will be overkill unless you go deeper into the motor, and won't do the fuel economy any good. Same thing goes for a high-stall convertor (if you can even find one for the cast-iron Cruisomatic, assuming it's still there).

The oversize wheels just don't look right on these, a swap back to 15s would be my choice too.

Very nice car....

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If it will burn/ smoke the tires for forty feet, something has already been done to the engine/ drivetrain. Box stock 390/ 3:00 rear end, usually not a tire burner/smoker.

BTW, beautiful car!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  17. Maybe, maybe not. A well-tuned 390-4V can run pretty damn good... ;)

Boneyard51 and 56don like this.
  18. deucemac

deucemac

The last Galaxie I had was a '64 390 4 speed. I rebuilt the engine and used a Schneider "little big" cam, 600 Holley , and a 428 intercepted manifold. If I did it again, I would have used the Edelbrock instead. Both flow well but the 428 and the stock 390 intake are hernia makers. I used my engine hoist. The last thing I added were 406 short headers. They aren't all out performance like the 427 long tube cast sets, but they fit easier and make a starter change easy. The 390 is a sweet motor and will run for ever if done right. Remember on the exhaust system to add an h-pipe and low restriction mufflers. I also used a recurved Ford Durapark distributor, D8 module with blue strain relief. My 3 older sons talk about that car as being their favorite. If you ask them what they liked about it they would say, it was black and it was fast, it had cool mags and was fast, it had a great interior and it was fast. No matter what they liked, they always ended the comment with, it was fast.the '63 and '64 Galaxies are big comfortable cars that will cruise effortlessly at 80 mph all day long, and if built properly will hold their own.

partssaloon and deathrowdave like this.
  19. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

Not too sure about what may have been done internally or to the trans already. I do know the intake definitely looks stock, the carb is for sure a 600. The distributor looks like a points unit. Stock looking exhaust manifolds. When he gets it home I’ll post some pictures of everything and we can go from there. I do appreciate all the input. If you have anymore feel free to share.

20. If you can find the factory 390 Mustang cast exhaust manifolds, those are an improvement and look good. My last '64 Ford Country Sedan came with a 352 and 3-on-the-tree. It moved well even in stock form.

21. In 1964 I swapped in a 1959 352 interceptor in my 56 ford htp. and in 66 my father bought a new galaxie 500 that had the 428 auto. And that was the beginnins of my experience with FE engines. and I still have the 352 and 428 engines. The intake runners on the cast iron intake are pretty big. If you port match them a aftermarket intake isn't much better. and the factory already installed a aluminum spacer under the carb. The PCV hooks to it. and some spacers also have a heater hose run thru them. The factory autolite carb has a vacuum secondary. there are different springs that let it open faster. Go with electronic iginition and better larger exhaust. and at least a 355 rear gear. The 63 came with short 14 inch tires. the tall tires make it higher geared. I owned a 62 4 door. it had a bad six cyl engine. the front was wrecked. So I installed a black 61 front cap and the 61 352 two bbl engine ahead of the stick trans and 355 gear. painted the trunk and quarters black and had a clone of the Mayberry squad car. At that same time my mother had a 63 galaxie 500 XL 4 door htp with a 390 four bbl automatic console & bucket seats. And my 62 was faster in the 1/4 mile. The 63 had no reverse so you had to be careful where you parked it. I eventually pulled the trans and fixed it. The ear was broke off the cast iron reverse band. I have owned Fe powered ford cars from every year from 58 thru 68. and quite a few FE powered trucks. Still have about half of the engines. The exhaust manifolds where my Nemesis. They would leak between the head and manifold. and the bolts twist off when you attempted to remove them. The best remedy was to pull the heads. drill out the threads in the holes at the top and use bolts with brass nuts and use studs with brass nuts on the lower part.. Also have the exhaust manifolds milled and the exhaust side of the head milled . Then put it together without any gaskets. That is my solution.

egads likes this.
  22. carbking

carbking

Another option on fuel delivery:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Fordtripower_3.jpg

Personally, I have dual Carter AFB's on my 390 shop truck; but they have been on there for 18 years and I am ashamed to post a picture of the engine compartment of a work truck :(

And yes, the exhaust manifolds WILL leak between the manifold and the cylinder heads :mad:

Jon.

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Crazy Steve, I agree the 390 4V was a good runner,at least some were, but in stock form most were a little slow out of the hole. Mostly due to weight, high gear, big ports , dogged off converter. Down the quarter a ways it would go pertty good, but by that time you were already behind. Playing catch up was no fun.
    The FE engine probably responds more than any other engine to a little hotrodding modifications. Just my experiences.
    I have a CJ and a 410, both run real good. The 410 is an auto, with the 2800 converter, 750 vacuum, 3:73 , big tires,comes out of the hole Real good.
    The CJ is in our one ton-flat bed 4 speed , 4:10 ,cattle hauling truck that pulls a Gooseneck trailer. I have fun passing new diesels with similar loads on the hills in my 75 model truck. Kinda freaks them out.
    Got few other FEs waiting their turn, including a 428 Super Marauder and several 390s and others.

Bones

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm doing a buildup of a 406 presently, some head work, new 406 pistons, cam, mechanical lifters, Crane adjustable rockers, LeMans rods, balancing. Nothing 'Super Legerra', just spirited enough to keep my '54 Ford Coupe up with traffic.
    Heavy 3 speed top loader B/W, Jeep tower with cane shifter. ('like the old days'...)
    9" 3.78, Les Ritchey type traction masters.
    They drive like Christians here, like they can't wait to get to heaven...

25. Those would be the 390GT manifolds (also found on 390 Fairlanes). The problem with those is you also need the heads as the manifold bolt pattern is different unless you're planning to re-drill the early heads for them. Same thing goes for the 428CJ manifolds which are being reproduced and can be bought new.

I hear good things about these... http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Galaxie1.htm

The problem with high-stall convertors and tall rear gears is the convertor won't lock up at 'cruise' RPM, making for a very logy throttle response at part throttle. Also generates more heat in the trans, requiring an additional trans cooler and is a mileage killer.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

207B9707-BEBB-420F-9AAC-32C60821AB2E.jpeg
    According to Jay Browns study on the FE those GT exhaust manifolds are worse than the stock “log” exhaust manifolds in flow numbers. Probably why you can buy them for $100 vs the 427 long tube at $1500 or so. The manifolds I’m holding are the 1965 427 long tube cast iron header that are stock Ford products. They flowed at the top of the list, even better than some aftermarket headers, and with out the leakage problems.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    lothiandon1940 and sunbeam like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's pretty funny Mike.
    Remember the story I told about the guy I knew that blew the back of his 406 block completely off when his clutch/flywheel let go?
    He drove like the devil was after him!

28. I'm not surprised.... Ford really struggled with exhaust manifolds in the '60s and basically threw up their hands, figuring that most owners would just put headers on. Installing intermediate-body FE headers is another can of worms... LOL.

lothiandon1940 and Old wolf like this.
  29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Keep it a cruiser and try tuning the distributor.. I would check the wheel bearings, alignment and adjust the brakes to make sure nothings dragging.. I'll bet its something small because it sounds like that mill is putting out..

I ruined more good running street motors with aftermarket crap (cams, bullshit ignitions, headers)then I care to remember.. I never could get that hard cornering stumble out of an AFB carb..

Crazy Steve likes this.
  30. carbking

carbking

You should have called.................

Jon

belair likes this.