Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question regarding transmission cooler line routing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidvillajr, Jan 13, 2009.

1. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Hey folks,

It's getting closer to the street.... Running under its own power, but, a snag....

The powerglide needs a tranny cooler. Its got the two threaded holes in the side of the transmission - no problem, that's where to start, but what would be the "best" way to route the lines? We'll probably mount the cooler itself up near the radiator I think...

Stock frame/body 51 Ford club coupe. 350 Chevy, 2-speed powerglide transmission.

I have YET to install an exhaust system back of the headers/manifolds. They end about mid transmission or so - a little behind where the torque converter would be in the housing.

How/where should I route the lines? Up and over where the exhaust pipes will go, under the installed headers and manifolds then along the frame rails, something else?

I may be overthinking, or planning too far in advance, but I'd enjoy the input...

Thanks,

dv

2. George

George

OEMs run em along the side of the engine, keeps em short. The other way would be up & over to the frame, that would be good if you want to bolt a spin on filter adaptor to the frame & plumb it in.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You really don't need to mount a cooler ahead of the radiator...anywhere in an air flow will work fine...that said, always run lines above the exhaust/headers and along the frame rails, if possible...go below the A-arms, along the cradle and then forward.

R-

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

keep em short and high, so they cant get snagged on anything. you'de be surprised how much damage running over a cardboard box can cause when you dont notice that i ripped your cooler line off.

5. Shaffers makes them already bent to fit for most all the GM combo's.

6. dbradley

dbradley

Mine has flex lines over to frame then hard lines up to radiator that has cooler build in.